Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need Help on interior pricing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodhawg, Feb 16, 2016.

1. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Got my first price for the Roadster in Avatar. Vinyl bench seat 3 kick plates on each side and rubber floor material in seating area. No work in rumble seat. Roll and pleat in bottom and back of bench with 4" raised bolster on front of seat and sides.

$2000 installed. Seems high to me but what the hell do I know. Appreciate any opinions.

Woody

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

As an upholsterer, that seems about right. Given the cost of our materials and overhead, which are constantly rising. Especially foam prices, well up here in Canada they're always going up anyway.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

tried other shops? talked to local Hot Rodders about shops used. hourly rate, quality of material, etc can vary. like has been said "nothing cheap anymore, except me - not worth a plugged nickel"

4. flatford39

flatford39

I think Lebaron Bonney has a Hot rod kit now that would be cheaper. you just need to install yourself. It's not that difficult.

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have two friends who are upholsterers. One is on the East coast, one in the Midwest.
    The price of materials are nearly identical for each, but the overhead on the East coast is much higher.
    Therefore prices will vary by location, and I would say that although $2000 might seem high, it seems about right for the work you are looking to have done in your area.
    The best thing to do is as stated above talk to your friends and get a few prices.
    Nice Roadster by the way!
    KK

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

Sounds about right to me. Look at a kit to do an interior that includes foam for the seats. The foam cost as much or more than the covers. Then the talent to put the seams where they should be then match the pleats bottom to top. You have to pay for nice work.

7. 29moonshine

29moonshine

there are 5 shops here a bench seat cost from 300 to 1200 you get what you pay for most of the time

8. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

They are talking about using foam only for support on bench bottom and back. Is that the way to go? Do not have the original springs, but could find them if needed I guess?

9. I'm in the North East. I hope I can get my roadster done for that $2,000 target but feel it will run me more. No?

10. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Hope you are talking interior only?? lol

11. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I just paid 2,000 for this full interior from Edlo in Milwaukee. All leather and they had to make the seat from scratch, also they had to pull the wood floor I made and trim it smaller so they had room to tuck the side panels in. Kind of a pain in the ass job, they did a lot of work and a nice job, too.

Screen Shot 2015-12-25 at 10.15.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-25 at 10.15.48 AM.png

This is what they started with:
    Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 4.56.08 PM.png

12. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

seen on a union electrician tee shirt: "skilled labor aint cheap, cheap labor aint skilled"

14. Prices seems fair for a quality job.

I'd care more about making sure shop does good work in a timely manner.

15. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Was quoted over $3,500 for mine (not a roadster) and that's through connections...so yeah, hand me another Mexican blanket...

16. I hear you. My roadster seat is still an army surplus duffle bag.

One of those temporary things done five years ago....,

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

While not a roadster I called a good shop in Western Nebraska the other day looking for a rough price on an interior for my deuce 5 window 50's style R&P with carpet in the trunk and it was 7/8000 for vinyl and 10/11000 for leather. I about had a stroke. My old upholster would have knocked it out in leather with high grade carpet for around 5/6000, shame he retired. My last roadster with leather interior and Mercedes Benz material for the top was around 5000.

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Build a Sedan and then you can bitch about price. 2k sounds good to me.
    I used this shop you are talking about, and yes it was expensive but I think I got what I paid for.

Turnipseed and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

rusty rocket: I've been spoiled by my last 9 or 10 interiors, I'll get used to the higher prices and may use the western Nebraska shop. I agree, I've seen his work and it is top notch.

20. OLSKOOL32

OLSKOOL32

I worked in an upholstery shop part-time while I was building my roadster The materials alone were 2000. Leather and square weave carpet really add up. The Bop-Top was another 3000. This interior would be about 7000-8000 without the top.
    ATTACH=full]3138868[/ATTACH] ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455682829.552727.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455682846.885873.jpg

Attached Files:

David Gersic and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I had a freind that did many of my cars years back,but he passed away 24 years ago. After my son and I built his hotrod a few years ago and it was ready for upholstery,I drew up the layout he wanted an built the seat and panels. At that point he ask 3 places her in Miami for pricing,lowist was $3000. So I told him I'd try it my self,the less that could happen is we wast about $200 or $300 an if he didn't like what I did,just have someone do it. Well it came out OK for home made,I did a tech;
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-sew-at-home-upholsrety-hot-rod.604077/
    This is my own "A"roadster I did after doing my son's "T"
    Dana\'sSeats.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  22. skipstitch

skipstitch

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/going-cost-for-redoing-a-bench-seat.222391/page-2

I posted the above reply nearly 9 years ago... Price posts always make me smile. Upholstery shops bust their ass to hide a bunch of crap most car builders never consider.... Wire bundles the size of baseball bats, crappy seat frames, door jambs not painted far enough to hide with upholstery, cars that are not ready for an interior, un-realistic deadlines, and the fact that the budget has been blown by the time the car has reached the trim shop!

My guess is you didn't settle when you decided you wanted an old Ford roadster. Why settle on your interior???? True craftsmanship is a dying art... not everyone can trim an old roadster. If you like the work you've seen by a shop and it seems expensive, save your pennies!!!! You will be happy with your purchase. Take two minutes to consider what goes into your interior... not just material... how about rent, insurance, and experience? I'll bet the $2000 quote isn't from a guy who started last week!

For what it's worth (I've been out of the business for 5 years... PM me if you need to know why. It has nothing to do with my prices), a quote for your car at my shop would have started at $4,000.

David Gersic, X38, Tman and 4 others like this.
  23. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

My brother and I just did the interior in our 40 dodge. First time covering a seat and it all cost under $300 and a day of work. The sewing machine broke so it was hand stitched!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455687137.858574.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  24. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

2000 is priced very fair. I'm going to start an A roadster interior soon and it is 35oo. Vinyl not leather ,sure there are cheaper places, always has been always will be. If you are going to be happy sitting lopsided, unmatched seams, wrinkles where they show then go for it. That isn't what you get from a top notch shop. The area here is behind the times and I only do cars for people when I want at home. In Modesto Cal , in the 80s 90s I got the same 3500-5000 for those cars. Jack

25. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Thanks to all for your comments. I feel better. Will go see him today to discuss and ask to see some of his work. Of course he can use the good ones and not tell me if there are any bad ones. Seems like 2G's is not too bad after all.

26. My best buddy had the seat reupholstered in his '51 Ford F1 last winter. He supplied the material.
    The man turned out an excellent job while also rebuilding the sagging and rusty seat frame. $800 bucks was his labor charge for the seat only.
    Another pal had the interior of his Divco done in marine grade vinyl including 2 bucket seats, side panels, headliner and cut pile carpeting. $5500 for that job.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Have you tried Rod Doors. They sell pre made door panels that way you may only have to pay someone to cover the seat.

Gary

28. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Looks like rod doors is out of business. Found site that says they quit in 2009?

29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not roadsters but 40 coupes run me around $8-8500 in leather.sq weave etc with the trunk done. Saw my uph guy do a really nice job on a 29 RPU complete--leather,etc--think it was around $5-5500

30. There are 6 volumes on upholstery for sale in the classifieds. Just sayin':D:rolleyes: