Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help on how to remove 55 Plymouth steering wheel or spline count?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StukaBomber55, Aug 29, 2018.

1. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

I’ve read online to turn the horn button counter clockwise to remove it. but also saw online that the button can be held on with screws accessed from the rear of the wheel. I cant see the head of any screws and don’t want to start torqueing on the horn button either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Unless anyone knows the spline count of the factory hub, that would postpone needing to remove the wheel for now.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If yo don't see three screws on the back side (towards the front of the car) of the wheel, its not held on by screws. Pictures might help.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If that is the type of horn button retention on your Plymouth, it usually requires depressing the horn button evenly while turning it......there are locking lugs that keep it from rotating unless pressed down. Might want to disconnect the horn temporarily beforehand.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    54vicky likes this.
  4. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

I will upload pictures tomorrow. Appears to only be one hole in the front of the steering wheel but I cannot get the angel to see what the bolt head is.

Thank you guys!

5. On my 47 Plymouth, the bolt heads are in a recessed hole. You can feel the openings on
    the back side of the wheel.....I think they require a phillips screwdriver but it's been a while since I last removed my wheel. Do not know spline count.

6. Might be like Ray said....pretty much the same up thru the 60's....if I remember the little horn button in the middle turns to remove - then there are three screws that get the horn ring off to expose the nut for the wheel....damn there's a shaft and box out in storage if nobody else shims in.

7. 54vicky

54vicky

it usually turns to the left in my limited experience as said while pushing down unless held on with screws on back side.a mirror will help and save you turning into a pretzel trying to look

Hnstray likes this.
  8. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

Pics as promised guys. I tried again with the horn button with no luck. Sprayed it with penetrating oil and will try again tomorrow.

Here are pics as promised. Thanks for chiming in everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

free image upload

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Okay, that is little different than I pictured in my mind. I think the chrome 'cap' or 'bezel', the thing with the emblem in it, will pop off with a little prying at the seam with a putty knife or similar. That most likely has a spring around it's circumference, similar to wheel trim ring spring tabs. If that gets it to release, you will find inside the screws that hold the horn ring itself to the steering wheel, along with horn contacts, etc.

Ray

10. Sorry here's some pic's of one I have in storage - like Ray said you need to pluck that small center cap off and there will be three phillips screw holding the large chrome horn 20180831_173335.jpg 20180831_173346.jpg 20180831_174031.jpg ring on the wheel. You can see the three holes on my steering wheel. Best I can do with my eyes was about 39 splines....the piece you see with the two screws should be holding down the large chrome ring....I usually put them back on.....Mopar used this style way up into the seventies

11. oldolds

oldolds

I think the small center cap needs to turn to come off. They are usually hard to turn. 50+ years of dirt and corrosion in there. And the smooth chrome make it hard to turn.

12. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

You guys are awesome! Thank you! Just got around to pulling the wheel. It’s been 110 here between monsoon downpours. The center cap popped off with a butter knife. No turning require. They three Phillips heads holding the horn ring on. They needed a bfh wack to break them loose. Check out the condition inside the wheel though. Both of my spikes were cracked through as was the entire hub itself. Not very safe at all. Glad I found this. I need a wheel puller but will count the splines tomorrow to verify 39. Thanks!

[​IMG]

13. 54vicky

54vicky

those cracks while unsightly are normal on old wheels you can repair (time and material) the material is covering a heavy wire frame.it is safe to drive if you search steering wheel repair you will find ones that will make yours look concourse:D I am late with removal advice it just goes to show the reason for pics.just make sure the puller you use has a blunt bushing on the end as some are pointed if you use one of them it will destroy your shaft.those bullet connectors on wire can be a bitch to pull out I use pliers on them just do not squeeze to hard sometimes I very carefully pry apart slightly the female portion just enough to take pressure off the male part.