Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help on circle track engine build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scooterlee2198, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

Class mill rules.

OEM cast iron block

No angle plug, vortec, or after market heads. Stock only.

Rogchester 2 barrel.

OEM intake.

Headers permitted.

Stock rockers, and value springs.

Solid Lift or hydraulic cams. No rollers permitted

OEM HEI distributor with stock coil. (Prolly wont after tech cause no runs them after tech anyway)

Was thinking about building a 327. Double hump Heads and Rochester intake from cast heads with their magic work done to them. Jet 500 CFM carb. Light weight billet crank. Reduce drag where ever I can. And most likely a 097 came. What else can you think I need to do?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are going to be turning left at "speed" your oil is going to end up climbing the right side crankcase wall . Do something about your pan and pick up.

3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dirt? Asphalt? Tire size rule? Gear rule? Max cam lift rule? Rhodes lifters allowed? What clutch and trans allowed? Claimer rule? Max cube allowed? Way to much info left out. However I would bet that most IMCA type of specs would work.

4. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

Max Cubic inch is 362. Modified hoosier tire. No max rear gear. Running a Pontiac rear end. No claimer rule. No max lift. Our street srock rules are pretty liberal. Oh and dirt.

stillrunners likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

6. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

Yea came out of the old drag car. Wasn't a hamb friendly car.

7. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the max cube is 362 you won't be very competitive building a 327. The guys with the 355-360 cube engines will have a torque advantage and out pull you off the corners.

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I thought for some reason that a cast crank delivers more torque.

9. Truckdoctor Andy

Truckdoctor Andy

???????

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'd agree. There's no replacement for displacement.

Lynn

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Not true. If the track slicks over real easy you don't need cubes to win. At our local circle track (before it closed) big blocks would get out run by small blocks all the time. It's not about cubes, It's about putting what power you have to the track. At least on dirt.

12. Mimilan

Mimilan

Put a "383" stroker crank into a large journal 307 block.
    A 500 CFM carb limits you to about 300hp so you might as well get that hp early [off the corners]

Then start bumping up the compression as high as possible , to mask poor volumetric efficiency at the top end RPM.
    Stock valve springs and rockers limit the valve lift, so longer duration will help [hence the need for high compression]
    Cut the valves and Seats as thin as possible, so they start flowing well just off the seat.

I love classes with restrictions. It leaves it wide open for using "innovation" for that unfair advantage [some call it cheating]

Also what trans are you planning to use?? Is there a fuel restriction rule??

13. 1pickup

1pickup

Go bigger on the cubes. Get a 350. Paint 327 on the fender if it makes you happy. That's what I did. Rules say Rochester 2bbl. Get one off a big block, or big truck. There is plenty you can do to those carbs, that isn't easily seen. Rules say OEM intake, but it didn't say cast iron? The rules I used to run under said cast iron stock intake. I used a 4bbl intake, port matched, was a dual plane, but i hogged out under the carb so much, that the divider between the venturies was just a small ridge. Used an adaptor to put the 2bbl on it. 355 cubes. 12.5:1 pistons. Get a cam that will work in your expected rpm range. Easy to find at Speedway.com. Stock rockers? 1.6s don't look any different than 1.5s. Pin your rocker studs, so they don't pull out. Seen it many times. Not sure how to bend the rules on the HEI, I ran a points distributor, with the coil wire going into a hollowed out stock coil mounted on the firewall. The wire ran to an Accell super coil was hidden under the dash.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only rub of running a 327 crank engine over a 350 crank engine is the cost of pistons.
    Do you have to run a Chevy Rochester or can you run a Pontiac Rochester off a 400?
    Seems like back in the 70's there were certain 2 barrel intakes that the Chevy boys were hunting to run at Heart of Texas speedway in Waco for the same basic reason.

tractorguy, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  15. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

This track just opened up. And they are being kinda stupid with their rules. All the driver are having a meeting Monday and we are putting outlr foot down on the rules. We are keeping engine rules. But gonna make them change a lot.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

Yes Sir. See it alot. The guys that have less power winning. And the reason for a 327 was just because I have the crank laying around.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

That has nothing to do with touqre.

Deuces likes this.
  18. WB69

WB69

Agree.....

19. WB69

WB69

Somebody did a lot of late night innovating. It's called racing!

Boneyard51, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  20. WB69

WB69

So true!! Have also seen it too many times to count. But, all the big cubes have to do is control their right foot better with the slicked over track. It's called, "throttle management". There is that very fine line that is way too easy to cross. Some can and some can't.

21. 6sally6

6sally6

IF you go with the 362 cube engine..........you will be fighting for traction. Do the smaller 327-ish and build it for high RPM. (May be tough with just a 2 barrel carb though) Lotsa gear and rev the snot out of it.
    You will pass them boys "slang'in mud" in the turns.
    You can cam it to scream with a two barrel but you won't find it on Comp Cam's shelf! Custom grinds are same price as some shelf stuff.
    Run a powerglide tranny with the guts hollowed out and direct drive in/out box and hollow torque converter. Like an alum. flywheel on crack!!
    Slide the engine over to the left side as much as possible and not get caught.
    Move engine back a couple inches can make a difference. Seat time-seat time-seat time!
    Lotsa way to "gain-an-edge"!
    6sally6

22. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

Was thinking about it. But not 100% sure. Kinda want to put my m22 CR in it. And was thinking of a 097 or a 30-30 cam with the stock springs. To keep value float down. Belt drive, extreme blue print job, high comp. Only thing I'm worried above is oilling problems.

Boneyard51, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

All of the guys running legal displacement are gonna get their asses handed to them by the 383/406 crowd. It never fails here, and to be competitive, there is not much that is cheaper or more effective than displacement. The big block cars went the way of the dinosaur because they didn't accelerate as quickly off the corners, with the heavy stock bottom end pieces of the day. One thing I was astounded to see last year, was guys running HEAVY wall axle tubes. Whatever happened to minimizing umsprung weight? No matter, they were getting much better forward bite, it made want to build a 9 inch that way.

24. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

Track checks cubic inchs.

Deuces likes this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Rest assured if the track is just now opening up and they are making their own rules, instead of using one of the existing set of rules...... it will change many times before before you get your car built!

Bones

tractorguy, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  26. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

Deuces, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  27. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, you need to know how to manage your right foot. But in my opinion in an entry level class restricted to stock valve springs and OEM intake it will be harder to get much of an RPM advantage with the smaller cubes. So as a general statement, I believe a 355ish cube engine will be more competitive and cheaper to build. No real need to reinvent the wheel for rules, just look at IMCA, UMP, and many other local rules that run cost contained engines that are typically 355s.

28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Canadian two barrel manifolds use to be the ticket.

David Chandler and Speed Gems like this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Davis Unified Ignitions from Memphis builds a stock appearing HEI and hide their VIP box somewhere. Find a way to CHEAT because the guys in front of you are guarrenteed.

30. sdluck

sdluck