Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help on Chevy Manual Transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irishman, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Irishman

Irishman

Ok guys, I'm kind of at my wits end with this transmission in my 47 Chevy Stylemaster. It's a three-on-the-tree manual. Over the last few weeks I've grown to despise that setup. At this point I've all but given up on dicking around with the shift linkage and if I do get it working I'm wary of it being reliable.

I'm having trouble determining the correct name for that transmission and *have* to believe somewhere there is a floor shift kit for it. My understanding is the transmission shift levers for that era are not standard as far as most 3 speed shifters currently on the market are concerned.

Can some wise person make my day and tell me a floor shift kit *does* exist? Surely I'm not the only guy who has wanted to do this?

For now, I have to walk away from it before it totally demotivates me.

I really like a manual transmission and don't want to go down the road of trying to swap rear ends, etc. :(

2. txturbo

txturbo

any universal floor shifter should work.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Wrong. '40-'48 Chevy passenger cars used what was known as a "selector" three speed, which means that instead of two normal sized shift arms, it's got one normal looking shift arm and one tiny arm. Floor shift conversion kits were made for selector transmissions by Ansen and Drag Fast many years ago, but no more. Search "selector" on here and find a few threads with some good information and even better pictures that will help you see what is necessary to build a shifter for one of these deformities.