Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need help modifying steering column for exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austin Badley, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Austin Badley

Austin Badley

Im afraid not, the driver side will still have clearance issues with the steering box. I found fender well headers that speedway sells that i plan on using. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Chevy-1935-48-Fat-Fenderwell-Headers-Plain,3821.html

2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I think the ford explorer rear end swap is a good candidate for many mopars.
    I have been considering it for my truck.
    One question many have is the yoke is offset almost 3" to the passenger side.
    This is from the factory and how they are ran with no issues. Is the same as the factory moving the engine/trans off center.
    The ujoints take out the up and down angle just as easy as the right to left angle.
    The ujoints do not know the difference. I kinda like the idea above about the shorty steer column and ujoints if that works for you, but do not be concerned about the engine offset if it comes to that. It is normal and the drive line does not care, within reason of course.

Austin Badley likes this.
  3. 55-57 chevy exhaust manifold might work. Engine-p35L.jpg

4. mopar362000

mopar362000

80s midsized gm with 305s had manifolds that ran over the top like 265s should be easier to find.

5. gatz

gatz

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Austin Badley likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Here is a companion shot of my first one, you can see the two angular advantages I mentioned earlier of putting the first joint inside the cars interior.
    20170119_202836.jpg

This is an Ididit shorty column also but a somewhat different layout in the engine bay.
    Again you can see the outward direction gained with this setup.
    Just some ideas like @coilover provided earlier.
    The joint here is called a vibration dampening joint, Flaming River I think.

20170119_200518.jpg
    20170119_200630.jpg

7. Best explanation yet

8. Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

As stated, lots of cars have offset engines; Corvettes, Mustangs etc. Engine transmission centreline must be parallel to centreline of car. As long as your pinion angles are matched you are fine.
    Pinion.jpg
    ap2.jpg
    Some 4WDs had this style of set up with offset differential. e.g. When I converted my 86 Thunderbird to RHD I set the engine off to the LHS to gain steering shaft clearance. I also had to modify transmission mounting bracket so as drive train was parallel to car centreline so I had no strange harmonics and vibrations later.