Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help, Lowering a 1954 Chevy 3100 Front End.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low50s, May 24, 2010.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

3" lowered multisprings for the front are the way to go. You're looking at $400 for the pair from the car and truck shop or Brothers. It's a easy job, takes a fraction of the time it would to install a dropped axle. Plus you don't have to mess with any steering components. And you can always remove a leaf or 2 to drop it more.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2. The end has to go back up the same amount you lowered it.

3. low50s

low50s

Yes I see speedway has droped springs for $350 and they are in stock. Thought about maybe using them for now, then when i get the extra money built up, add a dropped axle on top of the springs. If I can pick up the bracket, and then get the part numbers i can pick up from the parts store cheep (def cheeper than the kit) I will run the disk brakes.

4. TMoney

TMoney

Just make sure you have the clearance for all that drop. Both drop components, springs and axle, will give you 6" of drop, obviously. Make sure that everything can move that close to the ground. I know mine is probably dropped about that much and my oil pan is right at my scrub line. Maybe a little too close for comfort. I don't have a stock engine though.

Something to think about.

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

you can bolt in a 49-54 chevy car front clip. they unbolt right from the frame with 8 bolts. you can get them for almost nothing...... ok so what do i win?

6. TMoney

TMoney

Unbolt? My truck's front clip doesn't just unbolt.

7. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

re read what i wrote.... i said CAR! also, technically the truck front ends do unbolt. you take out the leaf bolts, undue the steering arm, take off the brake line, and unbolt the shocks and the entire thing rolls out.

8. TMoney

TMoney

Ahhhh...sorry. Reread.

9. low50s

low50s

how much of a drop do they give you?

10. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

There is a thread by NONAME describing this swap. While the suspension does unbolt from the car its not quite that simple mounting it in the truck. A little searching on his username should bring the thread up. Be aware his truck is a '54 GMC 3/4-ton so some of the details will be slightly different.

11. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

12. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

13. turtlesdove3

turtlesdove3

Did you fix it? Were you able to match the axle?

14. low50s

low50s

I will hopefuly be attemping some of the swap this sunday/ early week when im not at work.

15. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Looks like a really nice setup.

16. NONAME dropper. the 49 passenger front suspension gave me a 7 inch drop. 54 uprights will give me another 1 1/2 if needed. I'm upgrading to corvette springs and sway bar.
    this suspension was used on passenger cars from 49-54 and corvettes from 53-62.
    it's not a bolt in but it does fit real nice
    I never have done a tech article. I'm reluctant to reccomend it to a novice builder (like me) but it does offer a cheap strong independent front suspension.

17. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

LOL! But I actually have met you and even know your real name...

Every time I drive past the end of your road I think about driving up and seeing if you're making any progress on this truck.

18. Steve,
    Don't be shy! I always fire the first round high.

Sinister here on the HAMB did the drawing in my avatar and got me all fired up and building again. should be back on the road soon.

My customers always come first and my projects seem to suffer. now I'm getting my truck finished so I can free up 2 more stalls for customers cars.. a win win situation, I'm thinking.
    really the only thing holding me up is the headers and I have one side done.
    Jim

19. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Shit! Is this why you invited me over? LOL.

Thanks for the kind words about my art. Looking forward to helping you get it back on the road.

20. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Now I feel a little guilty. No way you'd know, but I've been down hard fighting cancer since last fall and that means almost zero progress on my projects.

Good news is I'm now cancer free and within a month of being able to return home and then expect to use working in my shop as rehab before going back to work late this year or early next.

But the COE is still way back burner right now.

21. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I have a clipped chassis I can sell you for $400, PM me if interested.

22. good to hear, anything I can do to help. or better yet stop by and I'll let you practice on mine. I have got more done in the last week than I've done in the last year

23. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Probably nothing you can do, but I appreciate the offer.

Next time I'm in the area, which may not be for months yet, I'll stop by. If I'm still an invalid my brother who considered buying your truck will be my driver.

I plan to attend the Canby swap meet in October but hopefully it won't be that long before I can travel that far and visit family.

24. TMoney

TMoney

So? Did you get anywhere on it?

25. low50s

low50s

Yes I got the axle, and springs off, I removed every other 4 out of the 8 liefs, I am going to have to stick with this for the time being. I got my floors put in the truck today, now I just have to make my toe bords and kick pannels. I will just have to run these spings for now, then i can allways take and get a dropped axle from sid later, I just want to get the truck on the road as fast as possable.

26. TMoney

TMoney

Sounds likie a good plan. If you want to drive it asap then I would just run with what you got. Then later you can do the major swap. Good luck!

27. low50s

low50s

yes, thats what I figured, everyone allways says get it on the road, its more easy to take baby steps back then trying to do it all at once. does anyone have sugestions for adding a power booster mounted on the firewall? or know of one that would be a great addition for the braking system? as soon as the axle gets back under the truck i should rebuild my brakes.

28. TMoney

TMoney

Look on ebay. There are replacement mc's on there that bolt in the stock spot and are way better than the stock one.

29. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I agree you can even notch the frame out and it will sit right in.. they did it back in the day why not do it now.. Neal from Alb has done it with great results..

haha I clipped mine 74 nova since i got the whole nova for 100 bcks i couldnt pass that up.. power steering hoses made up to go to 302 pump and walla.. it will be the daily

30. Hemi8me

Hemi8me

How is this projected going? I am kinda looking at a 54 chevy truck here in Ohio.

I was wondering something. When you put the drop axle in, can you put in a system to raise the front too? The approach to my driveway is a little steep. Can front air shocks be put on to raise the front end?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010