Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help -Insurance for Aussie buying car in the US

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldandkrusty, May 8, 2008.

1. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Does anybody know what is required for an Aussie who is buying a car here in the States to drive the car around for a few weeks before shipping it home? My friend Peter has purchased a '63 Nova convert and is planning on coming to upstate NY to pick it up and then drive it to the West coast to ship it home to Oz. Of course, he would like to have insurance on the car before he sets out. He has been told that he can get in-transit plates for the car but is unsure about the insurance and who to get it from.

Any suggestions from any who might have done this? I know a lot of our cars are heading down under, so I'm hoping someone has an answer.

2. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

C'mon, some of you Aussies must have done this!

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I cant give you a direct answer, but I think I'd just call someone like Haggerty. They could just write a standard policy, provided your Oz friend has a valid US DL [or driving privlages], they should be able to write him a policy no problem. They could even cover it while it's in transit.

And if some of the stories I'm hearing [like $150 a year] are true, he could prolly get his whole trip covered for like $40.

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

he needs a "binder" policy. similar to what new car buyers get to get off the lot until their permanent insurance picks up the vehicle.