Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help indentifying a GM 4 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolf, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Rolf

Rolf

I had this thing sitting around for a while, but I am not sure what it is.

Also, it does just have a plug where the speedo should hook up, making me assume it's from a later model car, with electronic speedo drive?

It has the fine splines in both ends. What do I have?

Do you know where I would get the parts to add the speedo gear? Favorite place for rebuld kits?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a nodular iron cased Super T-10 to me, but it's hard to tell for sure. Is there just a soft plug in the speedo bullet hole? I'm guessing someone just plugged it, and you could just remove the soft plug; as long as there's a speedo drive gear on the tailshaft, just stick a bullet and driven gear in it. The clip hole is tapped, right? Probably a service replacement trans, I don't reconize the numbers. Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. Rolf

Rolf

It has a soft plug where the speedo usually is, kinda like a water freeze plug. Looks very "factory" Does anyone know if any of the GM cars in that era had another way of driving the speedo?

5. Rolf

Rolf

Is that good?

6. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

For info, or rebuild kits, call Valley Gear in Seattle. They are on Rainer ave, just south of I-90. Great bunch of guy's.

7. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Definately a Super T-10, could be someone plugged the speedo hole. There were some '67-68-69?? Oldsmobile cars that drove the speedo off the drivers front hub/rotor but I don't believe GM was using Borg-Warners at that time, only Muncies and Saginaws, but who knows. The trans you have looks to be '74 or newer as judged by the fine spline input and 32 spline output, GM went to these after discontinuing the Muncies after '74. Never seen a GM ST-10 with a Iron front case however, factory GM from '74-up are aluminum main case. Could be it is a service replacement or more likely a trans bought aftermarket for racing if the main case is iron. Could be a tranny shop assembled trans using parts from several broken ones also- Just thinking out loud.

Is it Iron main case or just dingy Aluminum??

8. Rolf

Rolf

I am sure it is, but I will double check. All in all then, it sounds like a pretty durable piece.

Thanks everybody for the help.

9. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

muncie has the gm th350-700r4-200r4 yoke
    Borg Warner T-10 uses the larger th400 yoke
    Some of the pickup trucks and vans used that kind of tranny.
    Looks like it's missing something in the tailshaft area...
    I'd expect to see a square boss at the bottom of the tailshaft where the reverse gear is housed on a 4 speed...
    If it has 2 shift levers it is a 3 speed...
    If it has 2 shift levers in the inspection plate and 1 in the tailshaft it is a 4speed
    the muncie 4 speed has a round bottom tailshaft and the T-10 has the squareish on the bottom one.
    at first glance to me it looks like a pickup truck 3 speed.

10. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Boy do I feel like an ass... and dated as well...
    You can now buy a brand new muncie for around 1800 bucks...ooops

"
    I checked it out...
    boy are there some wrong opinions on that thread.
    Id argue...
    The newer T-10's are tougher than a muncie...
    cases and most parts are comparably strong but the T-10 has a larger diameter output shaft.

You can still buy a brand new T-10..money better spent
    The muncie is obsolete and IMO best left for restorers who have to have the original tranny. I'm still not saying they suck or anything...never had a problem with one... great tranny, but I wouldn't pay half the price of a new one for an obsolete used one...Hype

The rock crusher was called that not because it was tough enough to crush rocks but because the gears were cut to be strong not quiet...It sounded like it was crushing rocks
    Rock crusher sounds tougher than T10...it must be tougher :) not"

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  11. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

I believe that this is a late super t-10. They used this in the light duty trucks. 4th is overdrive. Don't know why there would be a soft plug in the speedo

12. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

D&L Transmission!!!!!! Best place to get parts and info!!! Talk to Larry, he's the MAN!

13. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I have heard of iron case Super T-10s, but have never seen one. All the early standard T-10s were iron, so maybe someone swapped out the main case. I'm not sure what the interchange is between the early and late parts.
    The last passenger car application for a Super T-10 would have been late C3 Vette (81-82) or early 3rd gen F-body (82 only I think, still had mechanical linkage). They weren't overdrives...though the early C4 Vette trans was an overdrive (sometimes called the Nash 4+3). None of the passenger cars that early had an electronic speedo, so that part is kind of throwing me. Truck applications, I have no idea.

BTW, A Super T-10 is very durable...basically, they were created to cover all the warranty issues with the original Muncie 4-speeds. I have one in my '57, out of an '81 Vette (been in there since 86 or so).

14. There were two versions of Super T-10's that I have come into contact with. An aluminum case and a cast iron case. The two aluminum case trans that I had were both close-ratio trans (one out of an '80 vette the other out of a late '70's Trans Am) and the cast iron case trans that I had was from a '80 Z28 and it was wide ratio. If I remember correctly, the alum were supposedly close ratio and the cast supposedly wide ratio and that was definitely correct in my case. As for being a "tough" trans ... I personally had longevity/reliability issues with them (both cast and aluminum) behind a mild SBC in a '70 Nova. I have no experience with Muncies but I do remember a friend bought a new Z28 in the late '70's early '80's and he hated the Super T10, in his opinion they are weak and prone to problems.

The "W.G." on the trans case is for Warner Gear ... these were Borg Warner products.