Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need help in Detroit finding a few historic places

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Aug 9, 2019.

1. I'm in Detroit with my coupe. I will be driving down Woodward ave into Pontiac. I'm looking for Jimmy Addison's old gas station. Jimmy ran the 67 GTX silver bullet. I heard it's no longer gas station but a jiffy lube. I need the cross street.
    Are the places guys hung out at like Ted's or the Totem pole still around?
    I think the famous gm picture with the gto was taken at m-10 and woodward.
    I'm trying to take some pics of my car at some of these historic places.
    I'm in town for the road kill nights held at the m-1 concourse.

Deuces likes this.
  2. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Not sure about the Jiffy Lube. Ted's and the Totem pole are long gone, but some of their menu items are available at Dugan's, 13 and a half and Woodward.

Deuces likes this.
  3. We are trying to find out were the pic was taken. In the pic it shows m 10 on the sign. I heard that it's no longer called m 10 there. Any idea what the intersection is called now. I'm told it's a nice area. There are some hills in this stretch.

4. Thanks for the info. Before I head back to Wisconsin Sunday we will find these places. My son says that most of Woodward will be shut down Saturday. This has been on the bucket list for years. Are you going to Pontiac for the street drags at m-1 concourse. Look for the green coupe. 20190720_140552.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    loudbang likes this.

5. I did Woodward 80-82 not much then from what I remember.. Lived in Waterford/Pontiac at that time
    and M59 was ok.. Coming back to see Dad for a few days and do Woodward my self and look at the old neighborhoods, Gonna be in Dads DD so no hotrod for me this year..
    Haven't been back in Mi since 83 so this maybe interesting.
    Is the Red Fox Inn still in Bloomfield where Jimmy Hoffa was kidnapped from?

6. There was a post in the thread a while back about the GTO and sign. I researched it then, I can't remember where it was but think it was Long Lake or Square Lake. I'll see if I can find the thread.

7. Not racing thos year. They wont let me bring my drag week trailer. I need it to haul the nitro.

RICH B and loudbang like this.
  8. Here is what I posted on your April 2015 thread:
    "I agree, it probably is near Square Lake Rd. However, I don't think the car is on Woodward. I think it is on Square Lake and the signs are directing you to Woodward and I-75 as part of making a "Michigan" left turn from Square Lake Rd. Google that intersection and check some of the "street views" of turn-arounds in that area. Square Lake has trees and a rise in the road."

9. I tried to do this in 2015. Unfortunately the car was crashed the day before we were going to do it. The car has been rebuilt. It's the subject of the rebuilding after the crash thread.

10. Also posted this back in 2015:
    That will be hard to recreate as Woodward is no longer US-10 and there will be no signs like that. Until 1970, US 10 followed Woodward between Detroit and Pontiac. That year, WoodwardAvenue was redesignated M-1 and US 10 was moved to the Lodge Freeway and Telegraph. Any signs now will say M-1 instead of US 10.

I'm guessing it is on south bound Woodward at the turn around just south of Square Lake Rd.

11. Deuces

Deuces

woodward.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and s55mercury66 like this.
  12. Thanks guys. I will get it as close as I can.

13. derbydad276

derbydad276

Is the Red Fox Inn still in Bloomfield where Jimmy Hoffa was kidnapped from?
    Its still there but has changed names Its now Andiamo's and Its on Telegraph not Woodward

My father in Law was a cook at the Totem Pole back in the late 50's ... he was a cruiser not a racer

14. 20190810_162722.jpg 20190810_170659.jpg 20190810_175412.jpg We had a great time at road kill nights. Around 6pm we cruised Woodward. There were alot of cars out and alot of people watching. We stopped at a few places for a burger and ice cream. We did find the old Jimmie Addison sunoco station using the replies above to this thread. To the guys parked there it was just a valvoline oil change. To me it's a place of mopar history. If only the walls could talk. It was fun to see everyone out enjoying their cars. The whole time we were out I saw one cop. Both cars ran perfect with no incidents. Thanks again for all the information. I can check a few things off the bucket list.

15. I'm glad you were successful. Sounds like you enjoyed your trip.

Deuces likes this.
  16. Looks like good times....

Deuces likes this.
  17. It was a great time. It was made even more fun with my son joining me. We built the super bee together while he was in high school. Good quality family fun.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Ron Funkhouser, Deuces and Johnboy34 like this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

That's why I keep going back.... ;)

19. jimdillon

jimdillon

Glad you had a good time Brian. I was down there Saturday night with my avatar car and had dinner with the wife at Duggans then cruised and watched cars. Wish I had seen you. Where we were sitting (near a turn around), guys were getting out of shape and the wife was concerned so we called it a night. Always a good time for me. Funny now that I see Jimmy Addison's Sunoco it does not look familiar. Will have to take another look-I seem to remember an empty adjacent lot to the south, which may account for the different look-I think. Memory is one of the first things to go, I guess.

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.

20. Takes one idiot to ruin the fun for all.. Do not blame you for leaving.

Deuces likes this.