Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help - Ignition problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gdub, May 31, 2016.

1. gdub

gdub

I recently got my panel truck wired thanks to my brother-in-law , 302 Ford engine with standard points ignition, Speedway 20 circuit kit. I've had it running but the other day it suddenly quit and now doesn't do anything when the key is on and I hit the starter button. I jumped it across the solenoid and it would crank and also would crank when I closed the points in the voltage regulator. I replaced the solenoid and the regulator but still have nothing. I'm not to savvy on wiring so any help would be appreciated.

2. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I take it the starter button is separate from the switch. I would begin at the starter and work my way back to the start button. Use a 12v jumper to the small "S" (or SOL) terminal on the solenoid and this should kick in the starter whether the key is on or not. If it doesn't something is amiss with the solenoid. If it does activate the starter then either the wire from the starter button to the solenoid is dead, the 12v feed to the button is dead, or the button is bad. Pull the coil wire as IT WILL start in gear if the switch is on or if the solenoid has a 12v bypass to the coil. I see no reason the voltage regulator should be involved in the starting circuit unless the 12v feed to the starter button is hooked to the "BAT" terminal of the regulator. I have a case of solenoids that are not self grounding and have a ground wire that must be hooked up for them to activate.

3. rfraze

rfraze

I see no reason the voltage regulator should be involved in the starting circuit unless the 12v feed to the starter button is hooked to the "BAT" terminal of the regulator.

Which would be the wrong source for switch power or start button power.