Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help Identifying Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodjim, Mar 10, 2009.

1. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

I hope someone on here can help me by identifying these wheels. Here is the history as I know it.
    My friend and I built this car 15 years ago. Its a very nice car and was winning lots of awards. Another friend owned a local speedshop and said he had a set of wheels that would really set the car off. He said we could have them on one condition and that was if the car was sold, the wheels went back to him.
    The story, according to him, was that GM had 3 sets of wheels made as prototypes for the 57 Vette. One set was destroyed, I have one set and we dont know what happened to the 3rd set.
    The wheels are true knock-offs. The stud holes are plugged and on the knock off are the letters AAE
    Attached are a couple of pictures. Any help is appreciated
    HRJ

Attached Files:

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Can't really help, but here's a clue. The guy who used to announce Cal Club/SCCA road races in Southern California in the early-mid '60s was a guy named Alan Fordney.

Fordney drove a silver Mustang convertible that had a set of those wheels, or some that were indistinguishably similar. I believe that they had a sandblast finish on the spokes. I remember looking at them, and thinking that they were American TQ's that had been adapted to use true knockoffs (and I'm certain that they were true knockoffs; there weren't any lug nuts visible).

3. brandon

brandon

pretty sure they are ansen's....from around 64/65 ish

4. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

I have not heard of Fordney. I googled him but no results. I will check with a some of the older guys in my club and see if any of them remember him

Brandon
    I searched Ansen wheels and couldnt find where they ever made a knock off. All of theirs have lugs

Thanks guys

5. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

Here is a better picture of the spin on for the wheel. Any other guesses out there

Attached Files:

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Funny, I Googled him and found him twice: once in an article about Shelby and the early Cobras, and another mention of him as the race announcer in the movie Grand Prix. Try Google images.

I think I started with "Cal Club announcer" or "SCCA announcer".