Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need Help Identifying this wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceron1120, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Need some help for a friend who is trying to ID this rim. It's on an old hay wagon but looks to be a home-built one from years ago, probably with axles & wheels off an old car or truck. He might need one or two if he can find any that match but needs an idea of make and application. Can anyone identify it? Thanks for any leads/assistance. wheel1.jpg

wheel2.jpg

2. Hahaha...farm implement wheel Or maybe very, very, very early American 12 spoke

3. BJR

BJR

That looks like an old John Deere hay wagon running gear and wheels. I sold one like it last year.

raceron1120 likes this.
  4. :) :) could be, somebody told him it might be a truck too though. I haven't seen one like it on a vehicle but I'm not that old. . .

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Hay wagon, too familiar of a sight when I was a pup.

6. BJR

BJR

If it's an "old" JD axle and wheel it will have babbit bushings and not bearings for the wheels, as they were horse drawn so no high speed.

turboroadster likes this.
  7. Spindle mount gasser wheel. Big bucks on ebay!

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Anyone seen B.C. lately? Bet he would know....

Jet96 likes this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

Some tractor front wheels look like that, also implement wheels

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like an old hay wagon wheel to me.

11. Thanks for the replies, you guys are confirming what I suspected. It is very likely just that - a farm implement wheel. But not knowing the early 20th century vehicles and based on what my friend who owns the wagon told me, we didn't know for sure that it may have been on an early truck or car. If anyone happens to have one or two and might be interested in getting rid of them, please LMK. Thx!

12. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Also seen on old trailer plows

raceron1120 likes this.
  13. mountainman2

mountainman2

John-Deere-No-802-All-Steel-Gear-Brochure-Farm-_57-2-9.jpg

Even had optional wheel sizes!

raceron1120 likes this.
  14. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Steel belted no less.

15. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

It's a wonder the r*t rodders haven't found those yet!

16. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Wagon wheel. Not a very good angle but shows the wheels. ry=400.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  17. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

It's a wheel off a '50s McCormick implement combine, there is one still sitting on my grandparents farm well on its way back to mother earth. When the self propelled combines came out they became worthless and most got parted out to make wagons and trailers

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several have already correctly identified the wheel as a farm implement wheel. I had first hand knowledge of those wheels, my dad took an old high wheel (wooden spoke) wooden box wagon, that was probably getting tired, and at the time there were lots of those old running gear and purchased from Montgomery Ward the disc 16 inch wheels that would fit on the original spindles and a metal "flare" box that about doubled the capacity. As time went on it was hard to get good used 16 inch tires (in the sixties). Dad lived and farmed through the depression and it was a lot cheaper to modify and upgrade than buy new. This picture is of the wagon with my Great Uncle Mose starting to unload into the hopper. I remember lots of those spoked wheels on plows. 1395259_590808494312593_1473902957_n.jpg to buy new.