Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help identifying this paint!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jon Springer, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Jon Springer

Jon Springer

Hello....I'm trying to find out who makes this red oxide paint/primer that dries really flat light red (almost pink?), as shown in the picture below. (the variations in what is called 'red oxide' seems to include everything from dark brown, milk chocolate, to deep plum colors).

Does anyone know what brand primer this could be pictured below??? I love it.......

Attached Files:

2. Jon Springer

Jon Springer

Here's another example....

Attached Files:

3. Red Oxide Lacquer primer has... or had (I don't even know if you can still get it) that light red/pinkish, flat finish when cured.

The enamel and urethanes primers tend to be a bit darker and more varied in color.

4. indyjps

indyjps

Looks like they are both faded to a light chalky red.

If there's no UV inhibitor in the epoxy primer it will fade quickly. Until recent years there was no reason to have a UV inhibitor in primer.
    SPI southern polyurethanes is one of the few that adds UV protection.

You can have the red oxide tinted. I'd prefer to use one with UV than Have it chalk out.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost any red oxide primer will get you there. If you want to get real close get some industrial coating like for structural steel or heavy equipment. Lots of peeps like rustoleum red oxide, just remember its rustoleum if you get an itch in your gitch to paint it some day.

6. cshades

cshades
    from wi

the red oxide sealer from napa looks like that when you put it on.

mario711 likes this.
  7. Jon Springer

Jon Springer

Yeah....I stumbled upon the color in question while using Eastwood's Red Oxide Encapsulator (which only comes in aerosol and costs $21 a can). It has that super bright, super flat reddish/pinkish hue. Something about it looks so cool to me....

Attached Files:

8. Jon Springer

Jon Springer

I ended up going with the Zero Rust red oxide. It's the closest I could find to the color I want....

Attached Files: