Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help identifying this front end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Coalition, Nov 8, 2012.

1. I believe this to be a early item to convert 1946-1948 Ford or Mercury's from the old buggy leaf variety to coil springs and tube shocks..As shown in photo's the unit is using 1946- 1948 wishbones with the step design. I would like any info regarding this assembly I.E. written articles, sales ads, or input as to whether they were a success or not. So far no one I've talked to or shown these photos to is familiar with the setup.. The nameplate riveted to the front mounting boss reads "Front Coil Spring Assembly
    Pat. Pending
    Automotive-Household
    Products Company
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    P.S. This thing is really well made,as it is all drop forged like Fords axles themselves with bosses at the ends and grease zerks at all pivot points. It also incorporate the anti-sway bar and stabilizer bar that Ford used..Any help would be appreciated as it is a mystery to me..

Attached Files:

• 3.gif
      3.gif
      File size:
      173 bytes
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      9.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      11.6 KB
      Views:
  2. 117harv

117harv

1948 Ford wishbone and axle, as far as the other items, I have never seen them before. Can you make the pics bigger? Looks interesting.

3. These pics are from a HAMB user. Can,t remember who but the car was a British Allard.
    Now go build a race car around that axle :)

Attached Files:

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Allard split the axle, the one shown at start of thread is an unsplit axle rigged to use coils supporting axle from same points as the original leaf spring. This was actually a commercially made aftermarket rig...I have an ad for it in some '46-47 garage industry magazine lost in my basement.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRC I think your first assumption may be right on the money after looking at what 34Gaz posted.

It may have been someone's attempt to copy the suspension on an Allard at the time.
    Back in the early 50's a lot of guys were buying fiberglass bodys out of the back of car magazines and attempting to build their own sports cars and a lot of them used Ford chassis to do that. That may be the leftovers from one of those attempts.

6. I just enlarged the OP pic for myself and it does look like the original axle is still one piece with the conversion hanging out front as Bruce stated.

7. I knew if I put up some pics you fella's would figure it out. Thank you so much for taking the time and helping me out. Have a great weekend.