Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need help identifying the year of transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1931fordtruck, Feb 8, 2014.

1. I purchased a Ford flathead last year. I was able to figure out the year (1950), but how do i find out the year on the trans?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

On top of the bell there is a flat pad right above the inspection cover. The chassis number will be there. That's a start. After all these years, and the way trans parts can be swapped around, it might not be stock. Probably be better to get Mac Vanpelts transmission book and just identify what parts you have.

For example, I have an open drive trans I just got that I know for certain was pulled from a 1951 F1 pickup. It has the good double detent shift tower and big synchro fork. However, the synchro itself should be the late type with the metal pads and the ring shaped spring. It doesn't. It has the earlier hub with the balls and 3 springs. It also has the case with the short rib on the bottom. I would guess, since this is a later open drive transmission, that the case and the synchro hub were damaged at some point in its life and swapped for earlier versions. What year it is really makes no difference at this point.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  3. That is very true. I have a '30 coupe im putting back together. Im going to run the banger. Im wondering if I could use the trans off the flathead over the stock trans and have any gain. I have a t5 out of an S10. If im short on Cash by my deadline I want to have a back up plan. The coupe would get on the road and I could save my pennies to get the adapter kit for the t5.

Sent from my HTC One X using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Save your pennies for hot rod parts. Keep a tradional hot rod tradional with a FORD 3 speed.

5. 1928Fordman

1928Fordman

But this is the HAMB were it's ok to have a T5 and still call your car a traditional Hot Rod. LOL

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run the T5. There is nothing traditional about today's roads, and today's traffic.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Even better is a Ford 3 speed with overdrive. This is the best thing you can do after a high compression head

Attached Files:

8. Is that a double AA bell houseing?

9. Will the trans from the flathead be better then the stock A trans, to buy me time until im ready to install the t5?

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus