Register now to get rid of these ads!

NEED HELP. alt pulley getting hot as HELL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Blake84

Blake84

i have a 1950 ford f100 with 223 inline 6. custom stuff done like added power steering etc. so it is not the standard set up.

ANYWAY. I have been noticing melted belts and belts snapping. I ran car for only 3 min on idle and squirted water on pulley and its steaming.

the belt looks to be aligned properly

the belt is not loose

the alt is new

are there any tricks to aligning a belt or anything you guys can think about?

thanks in advance

Blake

2. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Is the belt running all the way in the bottom of the pulley, or on the sides like it should?

3. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

with the belt off completely, how much drag is there on the PS, Alt, AC when you rotate them by hand?

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Are you driving everything off one belt? Cars with PS and air usually have 2 V-belts, or a flat belt.

5. 69fury

69fury

If the case was as hot as the pulley, i'd check to see how much current it was pumping out (dead short?) but since you only mentioned the pulley, i'm thinking you got an alt that was bad out of the box. Bearings and shaft issue.

6. Blake84

Blake84

The case is not hot at all. It is giving off about 13.5 volts or higher. I am running 1 single belt and it is running along the side of the alt

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Either one component is dragging ( the alternator ) or you probably have the wrong width belt (it is not pulling on the sides of the pulley ). Gary

8. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I would try switching alts, really sounds like a defective part.

9. oldolds

oldolds

Disconnect the wires on alt. As stated it might be working too hard. Also check drag.

10. Did you just change the altanator ? Or did you just start having this problem? As someone else posted change altanator see if problem goes away. When and where did your problem start. Please post how you fixed it

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Could be that, due to the layout, one of the pulleys does not get enough belt wrap-around, so that the belt does not grip the pully fully enough and instead just slides along one edge of the pully and therefore slips a tad bit.

12. jimvette59

jimvette59

Well first I had a new alternator lock up on me and caused the same problem. I use a straight edge from pulley face to pulley face to aline the pulleys. You did mention that you have A/C, P/S etc. etc.. I think you should have multiple belts. A picture of your setup will help. Jim.T.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  13. Blake84

Blake84

Thanks guys for your help

Update. I went home made sure everything was ALLIGNED. I removed a electricity to alt and ran car for 10 min. Figured this way if it were the bearing or belt friction it would still get hot. After 10 mins it was warm but not hot. I added electricity back on and ran for 1 min. It was so hot I couldn't touch it would have melted finger I to pully.

So that tells me I have an electrical issue. Either regulator is bad or something else is going on. I took it and dropped it off at the electrical shop that wired up my 2 batteries and battery isolator and stuff over a year ago so I will update you with the cause but as of now I'm pretty sure it's electrical related and the alt is under 2 months old so we will see

14. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not an electrical issue. Tighten the belt more. Or as Cleatus says, you need more wrap around.

Jack E/NJ

15. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Either way your belt is now (again TOAST ) so change that also!

16. dan griffin

dan griffin

Make sure the nut on the pulley is TIGHT.A lot stuff does not have a key. It could be belt rap.

17. deucemanab

deucemanab

Check back bearing in alt

18. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

you say theres two batteries and an isolator.I would look there.

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That caught my eye too. Why are you running two batteries ?

Don

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Read post #13......

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you have 2 batteries and they are low the alt will be working hard to charge them. This on top of driving everything off one belt, could overload the belt. If the alt checks out good, I would think about changing to a flat belt.

22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You could try a cogged belt. It will grip better around a small pulley or any pulley.

23. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I had a similar problem I bought the correct length belt but the wrong style. The belt rode too high in the groove and was slowly grinding rubber off the belt Make certain you have the correct width (style) for the application

24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Also make sure you have correct pulley. I know someone who used a lawn mower pulley on his alt. Had the same heat issue. power equipment and auto belts are different angles. Power belts-(lawn mower) and auto belts don't interchange.

Ago

25. Blake84

Blake84

So I swapped out to a 1 wire gmc alt and eliminated like 10 wires from original alt set up. Issue seems to be fixed I had a 140 amp alt and now have a 60 amp. I also installed a voltage gauge and everything seems to be great. I drove it around about 100 miles today with no issues what do ever. Thank you everyone for your help. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395122666.075632.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395122676.290852.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!