Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help: 2x1 mopar flathead carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dart165, Feb 20, 2009.

1. dart165

dart165

So i just bought an old fenton 2x1 intake with carbs and linkage that was sitting in this dudes garage for years. He wasnt sure what year car it came off of, but was sure it was a dodge flattie piece. The carbs on it are pretty different that what my 54 savoy has, but i believe they are old carters, so i looked em up and found that as far as i can tell, they are these:

[​IMG]

(By the way i used this site which was super good and has pics of pretty much everything if you aer ever looking to identify a carb: http://www.carburetor.ca/)

Anyway, the point of my thread is, the carbs on the intake are pretty wasted. So if anyone has 1 or 2 compatable carbs they wanna offload, or if you guys know a good site or source to get 2 carbs in working order from, i'd appreciate it.

The second part of this is, would it be crazy to think that there is some way of adapting strombergs onto the intake? i know vintage speed makes a 2 carb to 1 adapter, but i'm not looking to run 4 carbs, so does anyone know of a stomberg to 1 bbl adapter? let me know if thats a stupid question...

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. panic

panic

Generally, those are supposed to be run simultaneously. 2 × Stromberg 97s are considerably bigger (not to mention $$$$$$$) and will have response and mileage problems.

3. 73RR

73RR

My best suggestion is to call George Asche, 815-354-2621. When it comes to Mopar flat stuff he is the guy!

4. dart165

dart165

Thanks for the number, i'll definitely give him a call!

The only reason i asked about strombergs is (besides there popularity and ease to find) is that they have a 2 5/8 top and most air filters/scoops fit. I measured the carters and they only have a 2 1/4 top... so i wonder if there is any filters that fit that size... or any places that specialize in early mopar flattie speed equipment for that matter. i havent found much on the net thus far..

thanks for advice/help so far!

5. The Stromberg 97's aren't THAT much bigger than the Ball & Balls.

I had two '48 Plymouth carbs on an Offy intake on my '50 Dodge(stock 230) . Ran great. I pulled 'em off the Dodge, put 'em on an Edmunds intake on my rail, I'm a whole carb short! I figured them to be approximately 125 cfm each, and I need at least 325 cfm for my engine. I think the Strombergs are around 150 cfm. Mr Asche will tell you to run truck carbs, and that they are more cfm than the Stromberg.

And yes, there are one barrel to Stromberg adapters out there, try Speedway or Vintage Speed.

Don't throw away those "junk" B&B's they can be ravaged for parts.

6. carbking

carbking

The Carter Ball & Ball design is certainly not the easiest to adjust in a multiple carburetor environment. Lots of carburetors which are much easier to tune.

If you are going to run the ball & ball design, acquire 2 that have the same identification. To identify this type of carburetor, orient the carburetor such that the fuel inlet is on your right. You will then be able to read the text about Carter, Chrysler, etc. and also be able to read the identification letters and numbers close to the top of the vertical strengthening vane. These generally (but not always) will be 2 letters followed by a number (e.g. EV-1) or letter - number - letter - number (e.g. D6H2).

Jon.

7. dart165

dart165

i don't have to run the ball & ball carters. Like i said, they are pretty shot, so i don't think they are even good cores for rebuilding. they were just what was on the set up when i bought it.

Any particular carb you would recomend getting instead?

Again, thanks to everyone contributing!

8. daddyo23

daddyo23

Carter's aren't bad, they do like to leak abit. I do have an intake set up to take 2 Strombergs or Holley 94's that will fit the Mopar flathead. Pm me if interested. Wayne P.

9. carbking

carbking

10. Offenhauser makes a 2bolt to 3bolt alum. carb adapter so you could easily put 97s on your manifold.
    Another option - I have an Edmunds 2x2 intake on the Dodge 230 flat 6 on my '46 Ply. I'm running 2 Holley Webers and the engine runs great. Tom Langdon (586-739-9601) sells the carbs, linkage, and aircleaners.

11. panic

panic

I need at least 325 cfm for my engine

How did you figure that?

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

carter B and B are simple reliable carbs that can be rebuilt in about 15 minutes. I am running two on and edmonds on a 56 230 Plymouth engine. Made up my own linkage from heim joints and stuff from the hardware. As mentioned George asche is the guy to call when it comes to these. If you don't want to rebuild, he will take yours in trade and send you what are basically remanufactured carbs for your set up. He makes linkage also. I can't remember what I paid for mine from him about 4 years ago. But they were bolt on and go. One consideration for the dual set up is to make sure you have enough airflow. Lots of folks have found that running the universal 4 inch hot rod aircleaners cause a rich condition due to restricted air flow. Some folks have stacked the two hig and other's (me included) have made our own filters from stailess mixing bowls, frying pans, and baking sheets.

The added breathing, and a bit of head and deck milling really go a long ways to wake up these flatheads.

13. panic

panic

I agree that the air cleaner old are entirely for "the look", and handicap performance.
    However, they only affect mixture if the bowl vent is outside the air-horn (you have to track it down - typically it makes a small wet spot with dirt around it).
    If the vent is re-routed into the interior of the air cleaner (air-horn) bowl pressure matches airflow through the body and the mixture won't change.

14. Hey I have a couple of those B&B carbs....lol, I bought a whole box of 1 bbls was going to list them here when I get a couple of pics! Watch the classifieds for them.

15. panic

panic

made our own filters from stailess mixing bowls, frying pans, and baking sheets

Yah!
    I saw a nice one on a stovebolt for 2 × Rochester B made by pop-riveting 2 old cleaner bases into the floor of an old serving tray for the bottom.
    Added a long K&N element on top, and an upside-down "bathtub" (made from 2 aluminum serving bowls tig'd together and polished) wide and long enough to overhang all around as a cover, held with the original top screws.
    He originally planned to drill holes in the sides for style, but never got around to it so the air source is the space between the cover OD and the K&N exterior, about 1" wide by 4" tall by 16" long.

16. Pipemax

that's the recommmendation for my current engine @5000rpm @95% VE. It should be noted that my engine currently is at about 93.3 %VE, produces peak HP @4250 rpm, and runs out of air @5200 rpm.

4200 rpm is 276 CFM, 4300 rpm is 282 CFM

I can't wait to get my flow bench built so I can add those numbers into the mix.

I am already planning a cam change and flowbench work to achieve my goal of 200 horsepower, on top of correcting carb CFM deficiency, and poor intake and exhaust manifold design.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009