Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need hambers advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsman41, Jun 9, 2013.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

iam looking at two trucks to buy both 50 ford pickups. one is all orignal except custom upholstery. body is excellent just a real nice truck.flathead engine a little souped up. the other is on a gm frame with a 350 chevy motor and auto trans custom interior and done really good local hot rod shop did the work. price wise both are good deal. which truck would you guys consider the best way to go. i put on alot of travel miles on a year and i like the idea of a modern engine ie350 but the flathead is cool. advice pros and cons. need help on this. thanks

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

buy em both-then you have the best of both worlds!
    It also depends on what you're gonna use it for? show-daily driver?

3. belair

belair

I would go with the 350, if you drive it a lot of miles. (Yes, to all you flat-heads out there, I know there are lots of flatties running around that never break down or run hot). If you need a little cool, put a 3x2 on it.

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

It's refreshing to see "advice" spelled correctly for a change.

I'd "advise" you to get the sbc for high travel miles. Repair parts are easier to come by no matter where you may roam.

5. I've had both flathead and SBC powered cars,,a well built flathead will hit the highway with ease,,as will the SBC.

How about some photos of each? HRP

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Coin toss. Both sound good.

7. I'm pretty biased toward flatheads, since my truck has one. I have put a lot of miles on mine with no problems, including 1k+ mile trips. Just depends on what you want.
    What trans is behind the flathead? Rear gears? Makes a big difference in driveability.
    Pics if you have them!

8. They are both cool. To me the more original truck is better, because to try and resell and explain to people it's on a GM frame might cause a few noses to go in the air. A chevy engine in a ford isn't that uncommon, but a ford body on what is otherwise a chevy frame? Reputable shop or not, at certain point people start to see a mutt more than a ford truck. If you get the the flatty equipped truck you can always swap the flatty out for something else.

9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I would prefer the flathead but the ease of parts for the chev is appealing especially if your going to travel alot. The GM frame even done well would be a turn off for me.

11. Get the flathead if you need a D D buy something new .

12. oldsman41

oldsman41

just got back from the store. thanks for your input so far. the flattie is stock trans stick 3 speed i think rear gear is 308. dont quote me on that. i had a gut feeling on the gm frame also. ive had cars with front clips and that never hurt the selling price but never a car on a different frame. well keep emcoming but im leaning toward the stocker.

13. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

sbc good to the last drop

14. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

I would go with the stock truck. That whole "GM frame" thing just rubs me the wrong way. Besides, you can easily "upgrade" the engine/tranny if need be in the future.

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'm ok with a GM clip but not a whole frame

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I would not buy a truck with a frame change.

17. afaulk

afaulk

I love my SBC's but.....I hate looking under the hood of a classic Ford and seeing one.

18. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Only you can decide, both are great engines but flatheads are cool. If it's a good runner and you maintain it you'll have no problems. I drive my 53 ford customline all year, winter and all, and that little 239 runs like a watch, I maintain it and it has NEVER once left me stranded, winter or summer. On the other hand, you can get parts for a small block pretty much anywhere and they are great engines too. If the price is right, buy them both! Good luck