Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Good Machine Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mel, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Mel

Mel

I'm looking for a good machine shop in the Wisconsin/ Minnesota area. I need my crankshaft turned... journal #8 is severely chewed up. Help!!!

Thanks in advance.
    ~Melissa

2. There is a plce on the Corner of University and 38th that I used with success while I lived up in Mpls. Dont remember the name tho.

3. titus

titus

hey mel, I,m a machinist!! i work at a Machine shop and would be able to get that fixed for you, the only problem is if it needs to be welded its gonna cost more unless you can find one in better shape, isnt there something gonna be happening on the 29 in menominie (did i spell it rite) ,Stevie D said ther was and i planned on going, you could send it back with me, next Q hows the connecting rod?? lket me know TITUS

4. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I supply pieces/parts to alot of the shops in Wisconson. Not sure where you are located... I deal closely with a shop in Butler (right outside Milwaukee) and have a few others I could get some info on.

Titus... what shop are you out of. I might sell stuff to you guys. I'm from VSI. Up there, you probably deal w/ Motorstate (grrrr)

5. Mel

Mel

Titus, yeah we're having a Christmas Shindig here in Menomonie on the 29th. Didn't pull out the connecting rod yet so I'll let you know how she looks tomorrow... I'll also measure the journals so you can get an idea of how bad it is and maybe I could get a possible quote then...

Thanks again guys!
    ~Melissa

6. Mel

Mel

Oh, I got a question... if only one or two rod journals are bad, can you just have that one or two turned undersized? Since they sell rod bearings individually, what's the purpose of turning all of them?

~Melissa

7. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mel, Give Baxter Engines in Eau Claire a call or Tims Automotive in Bloomer or Adams Automotive in Cameron. Do you want me to continue? If you need #'s let me know.Mike

8. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

[ QUOTE ]
    Since they sell rod bearings individually, what's the purpose of turning all of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

you want all your rod journals the same size for balance. A new set of bearings is cheap insurance compared to a New crank or BLOCK when you yank the con rod out of the next piston over...

9. Mel

Mel

The crankshaft is toast! Measured the journals today and they're all way outta spec. None of them are within tolerances in the round. Journal #8 is .042 so I think I'm gonna find a new route on this one.

But all is not lost as I just got a couple of leads on some other possible motors [​IMG]

Thanks for your help anyway guys!
    ~Melissa