Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pull toy, Jan 3, 2020.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

To answer your questions: Yes on hard line from elec pump to Engine, but it is interrupted along the way by a Fram Hp2 fuel filter and finishes up at the engine with AN8 braided SS line for flex, and btw, I have a screen type filter upstream of the elec. pump. ,The pump is mounted near the rear underneath the level of the tank.
    The pump runs continuously, having an internal bypass that opens when rated pressure is reached. The pump is rotary, with multiple vanes of fiber sheet. These Carter pumps have a reputation of good dependability, but if the use of your ig involves lots of trips a long distance from home, I would carry a spare, as very few parts places have the "on the shelf". I do, BTW run a safety switch triggered to open the circuit on no oil pressure, but with a switch for override.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Two things should clear all this up. (1) install a check valve between the pump and the fuel block, (2) use a manual choke when starting. Don't ask why, just try it.

3. pull toy

pull toy

One thing I did when installing the new carb was choose the manual choke series. I did not want the electrical hook up required for the auto choke because of the no access engine compartment. Because I live deep south and weather is never too bad I have not installed a manual choke rod to activate the choke at start up, I really need to add that along with the check valve. Thanks a lot for the advice.

4. indyjps

indyjps

Hmm, I must be lucky. Edelbrock 600 vac, GM mechanical pump, 327 300 hp cam, sits for long periods. Plain old ethanol gas with stabil.
    2 pumps to the pedal and it fires right up, bought a choke kit but never installed it, never needed it.
    Dont recall if theres a check valve or not.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well a non working choke is about half of your problem. Fought that same nonsense for years until I wised up.
    Still I have never seen an engine mounted mechanical fuel pump that was not a diaphragm pump. That is how they work. The arm moves the diaphragm and the inlet and outlet check valves control/work the fuel flow. If you can show me a photo of a mechanical externally mounted fuel pump I'd sure appreciate seeing it. I think the BS artists may have got you there. I'd agree though that with an electric inline primer pump with that engine you may have a flow restriction with the pump. I've got a small inline pump on my 71 GMC that had a 350 that worked fine for priming the pump and got me home by bypassing the mechanical pump one night when it crapped out but that engine wasn't stout enough to worry about fuel restrictions. The 500 Cad in there now might be an issue though.

6. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I’m going to try this. Thanks!