Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need front signal light ideas for a '35 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICH B, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Looking for ideas for front signal lights on my '35 Ford coupe. Seen a lot of small street rod kinda lights on the bumper, a few with Guide 682C lights, some fog lights used as signals, one with lights in the bell of stock horn, and some peeking out of the bumper notch in the fender. None of these have been a hit with me so far.
    I am using stock '35 lights with 7" non-halogen bulbs and later big truck rings, probably going to lower the lights some too. Was considering something about the size of a '33-'34 cowl light mounted under the headlight where the horns were; but not real exciting to me either.
    Any suggestions or maybe just go with rear signals and use a hand signal when needed.

2. cretin

cretin

Turn signals inside the headlight housings

the man likes this.
  3. That is another good idea. I have some early metal back sealed beams and could mate them up with some off the composite lights; but they all seem to have amber LED signals which I feel would be too visible behind the early lens. Had a set for another car we were going to rework; but the owner decided he was OK with the modern lights so didn't get to see how it would work out.

4. cretin

cretin

We are building a '36 roadster at the shop right now and the stock lights we have, have the turn signals in the housing. I can't see the bulb for them through the lens without looking pretty hard.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

How about cowl lights made to work as signals? Also very common, but effective as they are higher and easier to see. Or... mounted into the front fenders, like 36 Ford horn covers? Gary

6. clem

clem

The trouble with hand signals is that most people think that you are waving to them. I used hand signals for 8 years until I conceded and did this on a '32. Set them back a little so that they are not so obvious when walking around the car, but clearly visible in traffic. Wish I had put them on earlier! image.jpg

26 T Ford RPU and Jet96 like this.
  7. clem

clem

image.jpg Courtesy of google......hide them in your fog lights

Dave Mc, 40fordtudor and 63fairlane like this.
  8. clem

clem

image.jpg I think that the number plate would need to be relocated for clear visability.

40fordtudor likes this.
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Headlamps, I used Hyundai rubber grommets after drilling a hole in reflector opposite the park lamp bulb. Amber bulb is easily seen when illuminated day and night. Otherwise discreet and not noticeable.

Attached Files:

10. Kinky6

Kinky6

I have never seen anyone use this on a Ford product, but the '34 Pontiacs had a neat low profile light that sat on the top/center of the front fenders. I have seen these on other GM and non-GM makes in '33-'36 models. Look in carnut.com for examples. Don't know where you could find a pair. K6

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Drill out one of your bumper bolts and put a small led light in it

12. 2935ford

2935ford

I use these marker lights on all my cars. They are inexpensive and big enough to be seen.
    Bugsy side.jpg

13. MP&C

MP&C

[​IMG]

Hide them behind the grilles on the horns...

Hotrodmyk and 63fairlane like this.
  14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

B-31 Guide backup lights mounted on the back bars midway between the 2 outer face bar bolts.

15. F&J

F&J

Just a thought that probably won't fit....

a stock 40 Ford big truck? I think, had small park lights moulded into the headlight stands. I think they were small oval shaped lights.

maybe some other years of Ford pickups had those? IDK

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Jesse James motorcycle "bullets" I mounted in the original cowl light holes. Go to a bike shop and check out the catalogs ( oh yeah, on line too ( Christ I'm OLD!!). There are a ton of different sizes Camera 2-20-09 114.jpg and shapes. I suppose you could even paint them the body color to hide them more?

40fordtudor and clem like this.
  17. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like the idea of using the fog lights. Clean and traditional.

18. clem

clem

Bike shops are a good source for small yet bright indicators/turn signals. I used these halogen on the rear of another car. Brightest that I have ever seen. image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  19. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

There is a LED 1156/57 type bulb that is clear but the turn signal part flashes amber. The diesel truck guys put them in their clear DRL housings for the same reason. I had them bookmarked, but I can't find them at the moment.

20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

22. Here in California if the car didn't have it from the factory you don't have to put them on.
    [​IMG]

But I was thinking about these :).
    [​IMG]

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Scrounge around for some period-looking running lights or small cowl lights that can ride on top of the front fenders. Use amber bulbs behind clear lenses.

I found some teardrop-shaped, apparently French-made lights at a swap meet, which should suit the late-Vintage idiom of the '31 project. They have thick glass lenses and soft copper bodies, and the seller had a whole box full of them. Something more like a '60s/'70s truck running light might suit a mid-'30s car better, if it isn't too big.

24. 37 cpe 4-14=12 006.jpg ...these clearance lites have been around forever, I think they fit in well and easily seen...

25. Leakie

Leakie

image.jpeg Harley turn signals work great...

40fordtudor likes this.
  26. Kinky6

Kinky6

27. ^^^ My first thought too if one is using bulbs and not seal beams this is a simple and perfect idea. ^^^

This is what I am doing with my A sedan that may also work for you if you are not building s show car and just want turn signals. I am going to round up some of those old round marker lights like they used to use on trucks and mount them low and basically out of sight until they light up. I don't know how well that will work on a '35 but it is something that the old timers did when I was a young guy.

[​IMG]

28. use the clearance lites behind your grille just above the bottom crossbar.