Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Drive shaft help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasonic, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Jasonic

Jasonic

OK, here goes. Was driving home the other night and all of a sudden the driveshaft in the Rivi starts slamminig and banging all around. Carrier bearing is completely toasted. Got the car up in the air, but am having no luck at pulling the driveshaft. Any tips or help? Gotta get this fixed with the quickness.

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm assuming you mean getting the slip yoke off at the junction in the carrier bearing, correct? If so, it may be more than likley it has internal rust on the slip yoke, which in effect creates a locking barrier.
    The most effective way to get it to slide off is to heat the slip yoke with a torch to break down the rust inside of it, then it should slip right out.

3. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I had a bitch of a vibration in my Ford a couple months ago. It turned out that the previous U joints were installed with the driveshaft tube in a vise, there were parellel dents on either side of the driveshaft at the front U joint. I had to BANG the yoke out with a mallet but it finally came out, the vibration was because the unbalanced shaft took out the little bushing in the back of the tranny, so the yoke was flopping around in the tailhousing, it managed to start "welding" itself to the bushing. After the shit was all put back together and re-installed, the NEW yoke on the new driveshaft would not slide into the tailhousing. It turns out that the vibration also bent the output shaft.

So, I'm just telling you to make sure that you check EVERYTHING to see exactly how much damage has been done. It sucks having to spend the money on alot of new stuff anyway, it sucks worse when you have to do it twice because you didn't count on other stuff being broken.

4. Kustm52

Kustm52

You do have the carrier bearing unbolted from the bottom of the X, right? The entire drive shaft (trans back) should slide out then...you may need to jack the rear up (with the springs loaded) to have room to wiggle it out...

Brian

5. Jasonic

Jasonic

The carrier bearing came unbolted - no problem. That was where I started. Then I undid the four bolts at the rear. They came right out - no problem. The shaft doesn't seem to want to budge at all. I've got the rear end up as much as I could get it to go. Nuthin wants to budge at this point. Am I just missing something?

6. Kustm52

Kustm52

You have the rear unbolted...is the u-joint seperated from the rearend yoke? Is this where it is stuck, or do you have that end loose and can't get it to pull back out of the trans?

Brian