Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Buffer Recommendation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug F., May 2, 2008.

1. Doug F.

Doug F.

I haven't used a buffer since the 70's. What is out there now? What do you recommend? Where would you buy? :confused:

I am a hobbiest, not a pro; and would probably use only a few times a year.

2. A Baldor is nice, I lucked out and got one for a killer price when a local store started handling the line and put a 3/4 HP buffer on display with the grinders which moved out pretty fast.

I figured the buffer wouldn't sell and I was right.
    After it sat there for 4-5 months, I made an offer and the store owner went for it.

I feel like I use it pretty often, but it has low mileage, maybe the equivalent of a thousand miles on a car that's 14 years old.

Since you won't be using it too often, give one of the Harbor Freight buffers a try.
    Get the highest Horsepower model you can.
    Chinese motors are very over-rated in the HP dept.

Granted, some of the HF stuff is junk, pure and simple, but they do have some good stuff and I've never had a problem with it.
    A 4" x 6" metal band saw that's just about to hit 20 years in my shop and it was used when I got it.
    One of my most used power tools.

Before I sprung for an HF buffer, I'd give Grizzly tools a look.
    They have better quality Chinese stuff and I understand the reason for that is they have American citizens on duty at the Chinese factory that builds the stuff and the USA guys make checks on specifications etc. as the stuff comes off the line.
    That helps assure quality and I don't think HF has a similar policy.

Grizzly stuff I've seen is very nice and about as good as you're gonna do as far as offshore stuff goes....

3. ttop88

ttop88
    from indiana

Do you mean a buffer for your paint or your trim? Craftman makes both and they are both under $100.

4. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Just an idea.......if you are just starting out, I suggest you buy buffs with pinholes rather than the standard 1/2 inch holes. When you use the little threaded, pointed mounting thing on the motor, you just spin (screw) the buffs on and off. No more using the wrenches to change buffs. These buffs come in all sizes, but can be hard to find. I always buy them from a jewelry supply online. Eastwood has the little adapter you mount on the motor shaft. Works for me. Jerry

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I have a Makita and it rules. Combined with 3M pads its unbeatable.