Register now to get rid of these ads!

NEED Axle Drilling TIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST AXLE MAGNUM AXLE VS. Moredrop vs. SO CAL?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustyCoupe215, Nov 14, 2005.

1. RustyCoupe215

RustyCoupe215
    from Owings, MD

Hey guys,

I'm building a '34 Plymouth 5 window coupe fenderless, with traditional Ford style suspension. I'm running a 4 inch drop I-beam axle hung from a Model A crossmember. I'd like to drill the the axle for added lightness, traditionalism and obviously koolness. I've never drilled an axle before does anyone have any tips???? Bits, Alignment? Drill Press????? Mag Drill???

ALSO Any input on whats the best Axle?
    --stock ford w/4" Drop (mordrop)
    --Magnum / Superbell Axle
    -- So Cal drilled.

Nothing beats doing it yourself. So I really dont want to spend the added dough on a So Cal Drilled Axle, So here I am, willing to learn. WHATS YOUR INPUT?!?!?!?

~Rusty Coupe

:cool:

2. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

You need to figure out which best suits your needs. Go to a show or somewhere and see them in person, because they're all different.

Super Bells are kinda slim and svelte, and suck for drilling because they have the logo cast into the middle of the axle, unless you want to grind it off. Or, worse yet, leave it in the middle and start hole son either side of it.

The Chassis Engineering axle is a lot beefier looking, it's taller between the ribs and just plain looks chunkier. It's also forged. Incidentially, if you were to order a drilled axle from So-Cal, you get a CE axle.

Personally, I prefer a Bell or magnum on smaller roadster type cars, and a CE on larger stuff. I'm using a drilled CE on my 34 Ford pickup, the *heavyish* looks fits well with the pickup.

Stock/mordrop axles are no doubt the cat's ass for the ultimate traditional ride, but the Mordrop's I've seen sell recently went for pretty high doller. How trad do ya wanna be though? The guys that know can tell by looking ;)

As far as drilling, I use a 1" Rotabroach at 100 RPM in my mill (Think holesaw on crystal meth) Never used the holesaw method because I've never had to, but it works fine, just takes a few hours.

3. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Also, they're differnt widths, which may or may not be important on your setup. Magnum and Bell are 46" or 48", CE is 47"

4. RustyCoupe215

RustyCoupe215
    from Owings, MD

Well on my Setup I'm using split 40 bones. Shouldn't really make a difference. I mocked it up using a 48 inch 40 axle and A Spring.

5. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

if you wanna run stock spidles a magnum is the way to go

6. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I used a Superbell on my a sedan. I bought the plain one, and drilled it myself. I used a 7/8" holesaw. I took less then an hour. I left the Superbell logo in the center, and drilled on each side of it. Don't really care if others don't like it, its my car and I like it:D.

Heres a pic

Attached Files:

7. 2manybillz

2manybillz

With due respect to dodgerodder, I've got some reservations about running a cast axle, much less a drilled one. I'd use a forged one. I think Henry would have used cast axles if he could have, they'd have been cheaper to manufacture.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I found it difficult to find dead center repeatedly along the axle. I finally made a piece of cardboard that I could center punch through. Cut to fit the web, you can slide it along the axle recess giving consistent results. Probably a piece of cake on a mill but a PITA in the average home garage.

I'm in the minority here but I kinda like a little human error that would be natural in a 1946 garage as apposed to the exactness of a CNC repro part. I tried real hard to get it right but you can see it aint perfect. That's OK with me.

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Hey Rusty Coupe.
    I'm a big 33-4 Mopar fan, so post pics of your project as you progress, OK?
    I have a superbell tubular axle on mine so I cant really offer any advice on drilling, sorry. Love the look of a drilled I beam though

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

[
    I'm in the minority here but I kinda like a little human error that would be natural in a 1946 garage as apposed to the exactness of a CNC repro part. I tried real hard to get it right but you can see it aint perfect. That's OK with me.[/QUOTE]

Tommy, Well said, and it strikes a chord with us old farts that heve been doing this for over 40 years. Lets not forget that the hot rods that were getting the attention back then were being built, for the most part by young guys well under 30 years of age. A belt driven drill press, a crude forge and a BIG hammer were high tech back then. All of which makes their accomplishments even more amazing .

Frank

11. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I know what you're saying. But I figured that Superbell offers them drilled, and with more holes than mine. I drilled 7 per side, theirs has 9. Will that make a difference, probably not. But I'm yet to hear of anybody dying from a Superbell axle breaking, hopefully I won't be the one hehe

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

If one of these axles pop up, buy it!

Back in the 80's there was a company called Vintage Chassis Works.
    They made the best axle in my opinion bar none! It was chrome forged
    looked like a mor-drop & was slotted for the drilled holes.
    I happen to get my in a roundabout way threw Cal Tanaka, that's where I 1st saw it, then it sold to another friend, he eneded up not being able to use it
    & I needed it for my 34 roadster.
    Some time in the 90's VCW was bought up by CE and the axle changed on its ends. Not even sure if they even slot the holes anymore, it gives it a unique look though.:D

13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I'm kinda partial to the old Dago axles from before Mor-Drop came along and made them look like factory drops. Been thinking about drilling this one.

[​IMG]

14. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I did drill this Magnum. Guess I go both ways...

[​IMG]

15. riverrat

riverrat

if you go both ways you will always have a date for sat. nite

riverrat

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

If you have access to a big drill press or a mill, there’s no reason not to use a regular drill bit.

IV done several on my big old drill press at work and they come out perfect. Only takes about a half hour.

[​IMG]

17. hemifarris

hemifarris

Go to roadsters.com and look at his axle section. His name is Dave Mann and I think he charges $75.00 to drill an axle. He also drops original axles without distortion and dresses them for chrome. He has plenty of photos.

18. RustyCoupe215

RustyCoupe215
    from Owings, MD

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR INPUT!!! Off I go to setup the drill !!! I've got 2 Model A and a 40 Axle to Practice on...:D no, I'm gonna drill one of the A axles anyway for a future sucide style setup!!! I'll send Pics of my Magnum & the A axle after I drill em!:cool:

19. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I'm about to start drilling my 54 chevy truck I-beam/leaf spring type front axle for my gasser project. Has anyone drilled outside of the leaf spring mounts in the drop section. It's the thickest part of the axle I have and looks like it will be ok to do but I don't want to F it up. It looks similar to the axle on top here in this pic except that mine doesn't have a recess web like this one. It's solid and about 1 1/8" thick. It's beefy as all hell in that spot but it was designed to handle the work load of a pickup. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gas

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I researched this over and over and.....

Well, I bought a CE, cause it is the only forged axle still produced. It has a lot more meat in the center web than a Ford axle. I was impressed. I'll see if I can find pics of mine. I used a regular holesaw, well 3 actually.

Read this ........ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7474&&showall=1

21. The superbell also comes drilled. I like 'em real well.
    But my obvious first choice would be a drilled n dropped ford axle.

Drilling is no biggy, use a drill press and drill pilot holes fist. 1/4 pilots should do the trick.

Get a big counter sick and use it to champher the holes when your done. Then clean 'em up with a sandpaper roll on your wizzer (dremmel tool?) and paint the chit out it.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Here's my CE axle after deburring and drilling. About 8 hours worth but I am anal that way.

Attached Files:

23. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Nice Roothawg.

Guys, has anyone ever drilled here?

Anyone?

It's not thin like the ones I'm seeing in this thread. It's beefy as hell.
    Like 1 1/8" square almost.

Attached Files:

• axle.JPG
      axle.JPG
      File size:
      72.1 KB
      Views:
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was told that would not be a good idea. I don't know why that pic won't blow up I posted....:confused:

25. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I remember reading a thread where someone drilled out there but can't find the dang thing.

Root - Maybe its just too small to begin with. Some guys know how to make them bigger than my last pic. I haven't a clue how to do it.

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Try this one.

Attached Files:

27. Rand Man

Rand Man

If I were building a Plymouth, I'd use a Plymouth double-dip tube axle. They are pretty cool. You can adapt them to the Ford transverse spring and radius rods. I've got one I'll use on something, some day.

28. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Much better Root! Real nice piece you got there.

29. The CE axle is the best in my book. The only down side is that it requires a special spring. You can get the spring from CE or Posies.