Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Alternatives to OEM 47-53 Chev Trk Gauges and Speedometer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rio Grande Valley Deuce, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

We'd like to install OEM style gauges and a speedometer in a 49 chev truck. The truck is 12 volt with a 350 combo. The OEM style or similar style application is preferred.

Can anyone recommend another GM vehicle or large truck/bus that may have this type of 5 inch diameter gauges or fit after slight modifications?

Your comments, referrals, pics, and dimensions are appreciated.

2. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The only guages in those clusters that are electrical are the amp meter and the fuel guage. The amp meter doesn't care about voltage and a reducer will take care of the fuel guage. Why not just use stock guages, change the bulbs and buy a reducer for the fuel guage?

3. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Steve

Thanks for the info. The gauges we have are pretty worn out with broken lenses and such. However, I will look into a voltage reducer like you suggest. I've been looking at a couple of sites for a decent set that can be installed.

Let us know if you have any leads.

Thanks.

4. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry for the shameless plug, but these will fit with adapter rings:
    [​IMG]

Way cheaper than getting some restored, as you well know.
    The Mounting hole is 4-3/8 OD 4-3/4.
    You can probably make your worn adapter rings most guys paint the billet adapters to match the dash.
    We also carry Omega Kustom, they look pretty good too.

Mark

5. I used the TPI 5" gauges in my '55.1. They have the tan face with old style numbers & script. They look pretty good, but after seeing an ad for the ones that marks914 is selling, I wish those were available when I put mine in. The face on the gauge cluster looks a lot like the original style, other than the color.

I think there is a thread on the AD-Truckers group, here on the HAMB, about using the original housings and bezels to mount aftermarket 5" gauges. I basically did the same thing, before finding the thread. It's was pretty easy, and they almost look stock.

I'll post some pics later.

6. Hey Mark they look pretty damn good....I've been searching for gauges for my 50 pick-up for a while.
    Do you do the adapter rings as well?
    Couldn't see them on your site.

7. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Yup,
    We have them. Been kind of busy getting some new products out, so we have not had a chance to take and post all of the pics of the dash panels. Most of the panels/adapters run in the $120-$130.00 range. We carry Docs Kustom panels, very nice parts. Just email or call for your needs.

Mark

8. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I used the factory bezels and it worked out really good.

Attached Files:

9. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Thanks for everyone's replies and especially all the pics too. I was certain many hambers would post some of their pics with installation details. We really appreciate the info and welcome everyone else that can contribute.

Mark, thanks for the pics and info. Can you provide some info about their sending units?

We're leaning toward the oem style but really like the pics you posted.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  10. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

This is pretty much all the info on the sending units, if you need something else, let me know:
    the oil pressure and water temp are 1/8-27 NPT thread, and the kit includes a bushing kit for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2
    The fuel level sender is an adjustable 240-33 ohm unit, pretty standard. The depth and length are adjustable.
    The speedo sender is a GM style hall effect (not pulse generator) and plugs in the tranny where your cable was.
    The speedo is easy to program, push the button, drive a mile, hit it again, that's it.

Let me know if you need anything else
    Mark