Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need aircleaner help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razorshotrods, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Need help with thoughts on aircleaners?? I have about 1.5 inches is all for clearance without hitting the hood. i used a couple 4 inch aircleaners for single carbs and cut it down to fit, thus not getting enough air and ran like crap when idling at lights. I have taken them off now and am running what you see but dont like it because it is just a screen. Any ideas on what will work. here is a pic, they are rochester single barel on a 235 with offy intake.
    [​IMG]

2. What about remotely mounted air cleaners that use a "horn" attachment on the carb and hang down. I've seen them stock on 40's 50's cars but can't think of the applications. Even some new cars have horns that mount on a throttle body where a carb used to go and route the air tube to them. Mid 80's Chevy Astrovans come to mind. Many are metal too so they can be made to look vintage unlike the bendy rubber ones.

Or a "Cobra" style oval ( sans the Cobra). You can buy blank bases IIRC and cut holes to fit.

3. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

What is IIRC? I was thinking of a "horn" type with ac's down lower, i have a pic in my mind but getting it donw is hard.just wondering if anyone has done it.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

One of my friends has a '61 Ford full size with a 223 in it, and the factory air cleaner has a 90 degree bend that locates the actual filter on the side of the intake manifold. Perhaps you could fabricate something out of a pair of them.

5. cody repp

cody repp
    BANNED

Something like this???

(this is a picture that fellow member "docauto" posted awhile back)

Attached Files:

6. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

SHIT YA!! that is what i was thinking. Thanks,

7. IIRC= If I recall correctly, sorry usenet lingo

8. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Some of the late 50s and early 60s full size Mopars had that tipe of offset air cleaners on them Also early 50s caddys had them

9. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Hey, I just got back from the local U Pull It and I saw a kickin' aircleaner on a 70s 6cylinder van that has a steel plenum that runs across the valve cover to the other side where there is a conventional paper element. It should have no problems with flow.