Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need advice on picking a new welding hood for my father-in-law...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steveb, Jun 6, 2007.

1. steveb

steveb

My father-in-law has a farm, & occasionally needs to weld things like pipe for fences or farm implement stuff. He mentioned looking for a new helmet that would be large enough for him to wear his glasses with, & also one that has a larger view area than the old one he has. He went to Harbor Freight, saw one there, but didn't want to spend $70 on one.

So, we decided to get him one for Father's Day, & I need some help picking out a decent one. Nothing too extravagant, just a good working one.

Thanks!
    Steve

2. moefuzz

moefuzz

I use the Fibremetal Helmets, the old ones that have been around for ions...

They are the standard helmet up here in the oil industry, tough as nails and last for for years when used for 10 hours a day. Good quailty. Excellent smooth action. Industry standard for a reason....
    Probably 50 to 70$ in your area..

3. budd

budd

i use a cig helmet, its plastic but tough, i have this one for about 18 years and i have only replaced the head band once, mine has the small window that opens but you can get ones with large windows that open as well, being able to open the window lets you use it to grind or be able to see what your working on as well without raising your whole helmit every time. there about $30, in a non auto darkining helmit they would be #1 in production line welding.

4. Fabricator

Fabricator

5. turdytoo

turdytoo

Harbor Freight has got those automatic darkeners cheap.

6. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I have a Miller Big Window Elite and love it-nice, big viewing area, replaceable Lens Covers inside and out (to save the Auto darkening unit), very adjustable. I buy the Batteries for it at Radio Shack (it takes two), and it comes in many different Paint schemes. It is an expensive piece but I won't go back-

7. Slide

Slide

I have a Jackson with a big window (non-auto darkening) that I got for about $30 at the local AirGas store about 4-5 years ago. I frequently wear safety glasses under it with no problem, so I would assume most eyeglasses should fit under it. It's also very light weight. The only complaint I have is the tensioners that allow it to flip down have one "notch" that's too tight, but the next notch looser is too loose... but then I'm probably too picky. :rolleyes:

8. I personally don't know what we did before the automatic lenses came out!

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I just got a Miller elite with a magnifying lens. I'm so in love with that thing I want to marry it!
    I got mine from Cyberweld . If I can make a suggestion, just buy the black one with no fancy 40 dollar graphics, and when you get it , give that 40 bucks to a local pinstriper to spruce it up.

10. steveb

steveb

Thanks, guys! Great suggestions!

Steve

11. rjgideon

rjgideon

I use the Harbor Freight auto-darkener (the small window version). I wear eyeglasses and haven't ever had problems with it.

12. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I wear saftey glasses under my hood all the time with out a problem. I think its a Jackson. Has a pretty big lens (non-auto darkening) and was about $30.00

13. Scott

Scott

DITTO:)

14. Shaggy's Dad

Shaggy's Dad

I have the Harbor Freight auto darken but I can't see anything with it if there's any sunlight coming from behind my head. So now I have a light weight black hooded jacket to put over the top of the helmet like the old fashioned photographers and no worries. I paid $50 on sale.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Those Harbor Freight ones work OK but drop them once and they're junk.

I tried one of those sweet Miller ones once and man, them fucker's are awesome. Worth every penny, I wish I could afford one.

I have a Speedglas and it is also an excellent unit. I would look on eBay for a good used Speedglas for between $50-$100. It'll probably be non-adjustable but they're excellent products, had mine for probably 5 years now and never had a problem.

16. Slonaker

Slonaker

I have dropped mine a half dozen times. No problem with it so far.

Slonaker