Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need advice on Ansen ground grabbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasserlouie, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Hey HAMBERS. I recently picked up a set of Ansen ground grabbers/traction bars. The person I bought them from said they were off of a Mustang. I am putting them on a 55 Chevy project. My question is where should the rear bolt holes be when the car is on the ground at rest? I am talking about the rear hole in which you can leave the bolt out for normal driving or putting the rear bolt in for a functional traction bar. Should it be close to lined up straight thru so suspension can travel each direction or? Thanks in advance for any input.:)

2. Nobody on here ever used these? Ok, can anybody tell me what year they started selling them?

3. choke

choke

I had a set on a 67 camaro back in 72'. If I remember right I had to lift the back of the car up to put the big anti-pivit bolt in place. I beleive the inner hole was up from the outer hole at ride height. I know one thing, when I ran the pivot bolt in place it definitely made a difference. The only problem I had was I broke a spring pad weld when I ran them on the street for about 10,000 miles w/the pivot bolt in place.

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I've never seen any literature on these, but I always thought the bolts were there just to allow the plates to be reversed for different angles. I never thought about taking the rears out for a better ride.

5. I ran these back in the 80's and don't remember having to jack the car to get the bolts in place. I'm sure they line up differently on different cars.

6. They should line up! The only thing the bolt was for,was to eliminate wrap. Unless you set it up for a particular pre-load. That's if these are same ones I remember...

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What Bob said, just for pre load....................

8. Thanks everyone for your input. I had thought they should line up, but I need to change the front mount at the spring by about 3/4" to do so. Again i am sure they were made for specific vehicles and this supposedly came off of a Mustang, hence some difference. Still, does anyone know what year these were introduced?

9. Sando

Sando
    from Burbank CA

I was looking through my '65 Ansen catalog and they arent listed in there...
    Ill look in some other catalogs.

Thanks for spelling Ansen correctly

10. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I bought a new set around 1970

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I ran a pair on a 67 Mustang f/back, FE/toploader....the lockbolt hole did need a little jacking to get all three plates lined up to insert the lockbolt (non-pivot pin). The difference was stunning...instead of squatting...it just lifted up and took off down the strip.

If yours were designed for a 'stang, I would think that they'd work on your 55 as long as they mounting plate pattern fits your spring perch or can be modified to do so.

dj

12. moses

moses

hey gasserlouie how about a pic.so we can see what they are& look like ...jeffrey

13. fitzee

fitzee

14. Thats them Fitzee. I forgot KiwiKev had them on that badass 56. looks like they work good too, if KiwiKev used em. The ones I have are multicolored from years of paint, but when disassembled the center bar looks to have been silver cadium plated originally. Note the ones pictured look to have been gold cad plated.

15. I just bought a NOS set of these for my '65 nova ss it has the original instructions in the box, they should be here in a few days. When they arrive I'll post the pics of the box and install setup. when I talked to the guy I bought them from he read some of the instructions and application fitment, different setup instuctions depending on applications ie. single leaf ect. more later......

16. Ansen original installation instructions for ground grabbers also specific nova camaro warning was on back!

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thanks!
    Oh...and welcome aboard!!!! :)
    You should do an intro in the intro section at the top of the main page, so we can get to know a little about you...

18. Thanks to all who answered my questions on the Ansen ground grabbers. The HAMB is the greatest, thanks to all its great members!;)

19. 19brookwood60

19brookwood60

I know this is a old thread but did you ever post the instructions for the ground grabber on the hamb? I have a set on my 62 Nova that have been on there for a very long along of time and just finishing a full rebuild and would like to know about setting them up correctly.

20. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Waking up an old thread too see if anyone ever found original instructions, I'm sure i can mount them. and if the leafs are close to straight with no arch, the bolt hole will be close to insert the No-Pivot bolt
    thumbnail_20211104_125212.jpg thumbnail_20211104_125242 (1).jpg

Gasser 57, chevy57dude and RICH B like this.