Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need advice from 235 gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slackcat, Oct 14, 2012.

1. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. OK, I'm doing the t-5 swap in my '62 chevy truck. Before I pull the tranny I was wondering if I'll be able to swap the clutch with the engine still in the truck or does it have to be pulled? If I can leave it in what is the best way to approach it? I'm more of a body man than mechanic but always wanting to learn.

thanks

2. IWB

IWB

I'm no guru but on my 49 fleetline I needed to switch the clutch disc because the # of splines were different.

3. Snarl

Snarl

No, you don't pull an engine to change the clutch.

Get yourself a factory shop manual that covers your truck.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You have to remove the pressure plate and flywheel before you can even get to the bolts that hold the bell housing to the engine. All YOU need for this job is to replace the clutch disc with a proper size s10/astro/jeep disc. yank out the old trans, swap discs, stab new trans, shorten drive shaft, etc.

5. Thank youuuuuu very much.:D

6. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

On the back of the block, centered over the crank is a freeze plug. Check it with a magnet - if it's STEEL, now would be the time to drain the coolant and replace it with a brass plug!

Enjoy the 5-speed! - Tim