Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a Y block Ford build manual, which one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mudslinger, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I need a engine buildup manual with all the assembly specs.
    I tried getting onto the Y block message board but I never got the conformation email.

Does anybody reccomend a book?
    I have a 56 292 IM going to build. I did search amazon for Chiltons books but didnt find what I need.

2. You have a few possibilities.

The repro shop manual for your year will give most rebuild specs. If this is going into a different vehicle, like an A or something, I'd just pick a '56 or '57 passenger car manual. Sac Vintage carries them, along with Dennis Carpenter, etc.

There is only one aftermarket book about Y blocks, by James Eickman- Ford Y-Block - and it is long out of print, though copies are on eBay, for highly inflated prices. It also has a few errors, the critical one being in reference to installing the timing set.

If I had to give one piece of advice to you, it would be to use a '57 & later distributor (or the Mallory or MSD aftermarkets), as the '56 & earlier Load-O-Matic dizzy has to be used with a specific carburetor, & even at its best is not a particularly performance-oriented piece.

3. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Thanks for the info.
    This engine was in a cab over F6. It has the cast crank. IM either going with a 4 v 57 type intake or a tri-power. I know a guy that has one I might be able to trade for.
    I really dont have a vehichle for it now. Down the road it might go into my 49 Ford if the flathead goes down.