Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need a stock 29 radiator measurement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thirtytwo, Oct 12, 2018.

1. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

E22B8409-551E-4794-A4DE-C7E1203B254F.jpeg 75AB6BC5-7A65-4360-952A-DEB40A3DD118.jpeg long story short is I’m helping a shop with a little 29 roadster mostly stock, but we swapped chassis , and had the radiator re-cored, started putting it together today...

everything was looking good until the hood...

the radiator mount pads are same height as the old chassis so it isn’t that....my guess is the radiator shop made the core to tall , but can’t confirm at the moment... could anyone give me a measurement off one they have laying around?

2. catdad49

catdad49

The Walker radiator in my Coupe is 25" from the bottom of the lower tank to the top of the upper one. This measurement was taken in the middle of the radiator at the tallest point. Hope this helps, Carp.

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Thanks, I’m close to that number so that doesn’t seem to be it either.. head scratcher

4. Any chance what you are blaming on the radiator is a sag in the frame. Did you check to frame for straightness?

Charlie Stephens

5. walter

walter

looks like the front of the cowl needs to go up a little (which opens a can of worms) and the hood rods need lengthened.

6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

No visable sways even looks good at steering box hole

Yes cowl up or radiator down, I did shim the a pillar to make the doors happy , and yes the prop rod seems too short but it was all bolted together before , tempted just to saw into crossmember to lower radiator !

7. You do know that there is a sight difference in the height of the pads where the radiator mounts? The 1930-31 is slightly higher than the 1928-29 if I remember correctly.

Charlie Stephens

8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I’ve heard conflicting statements on this, also heard truck different than car ... regardless they were checked before swap and measured same frame to frame

9. Small truck frame (pickup) is the same as the car fame. Big truck (commonly referred to as AA) is entirely different. I assume you are saying you measured the height of the pad the radiator sits on because that is where the difference of interest to you is located. Of course there are other small differences that would be of interest to a restorer. Double check me with a post on ford barn if yu would like a second opinion.

Charlie Stephens