Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a shorter water pump for a 318

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voodoowagon, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

This is a 318 from a 68-84 car going into a 54 plymouth. does anyone know if they make a shorter water pump?

[​IMG]

Trying to use a manual fan with minimal modification to the fire wall

2. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Hi.... Do you have a front picture of this? what about a 270 Plymouth waterpump?

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you mean from a 273 smallblock Mopar?

I don't know if a short aftermarket pump is available, but I've heard of guys having their stock pump shortened. Some machining is needed, but I don't think it's too awfully involved.

4. Damn when I did my swap I had to use a space to get my fan clos enough to the radiator to even do any good. What's your firewall clearance look like??? Can you reposition the radiator foreward??

5. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

With the engine all the way back location of the fan seems to still be in the radiator. Sorry for the lack of pictures showing the problem.

We think if we are stuck with this water pump a slight modification of the fire wall around the heads and valve covers will bring engine back to a good location

6. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Hi... I refering to earlier.. mid 50s water pump.. if the bolts line up from the pump to the Housing..

7. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Hi, Im pretty certain that the early mopar smallblock (273) waterpumps are a little shorter. almost an inch. I have engines with both but, the older ones is at my parents plase, so I can't take any measurements unfourtunaly. Bu if you dont get an answer here sheck out forabodysonly forum. they will give you an answer.

also the 318 poly waterpump will probably fint since the timing cover is interchangeble between the engines. dont know if it's shorter thou. (http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/poly318_1.html)

Edit: as you can read here on the forum mentioned above, is't like I said. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=179715

8. I just went & measured the water pumps on both 318 Polys I have, they are both 5" from the timing cover/water pump edge to the water pump pulley flange bolt heads........you would need at least 1/2" clearance from the radiator, maybe 1" to be safe..........dunno if this helps.......andyd

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

If it will do you any good, I have an NOS 273 water pump I'd sell. I've never measured to see if its shorter than the later pumps as mentioned.

- EM

10. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

11. I've looked through a lot of these motor swaps and every single one of them, including myself, had to take a hammer to the passenger side of the firewall for head/valve cover clearance.

12. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

Won't using a shorter water pump mess up all the belt's on the accessories?

13. llonning

llonning

There is a difference with the LA water pumps. I can't remember the year break, but the earlier one has the lower hose location on the other side than the later ones.

At work right now so I can't check which is which. They also use different timing covers. The both interchange though. Timing cover is the problem, timing marks are different early to late.

14. Yep, then its all custom built unless there is a short system to bolt onto it.
    I'd wack the fire wall myself.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely, '68 is the break on the right versus left outlet on the pump. I can't remember if the earlier pump is any shorter or not, buit I do know that the timing cover and possibly the balancer will need to be changed as well. I too have done this swap and had to o back into the passenger side firewall just a bit. An inch or so will make all the difference in the world. Also, off setting this deal to the passenger side an inch will make a huge difference in clearence around the steering.

16. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

That was another concern, we will move the engine back into the fire wall as much as we can and hope we have room for a manual fan.

17. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Guys thank you alot for all your information, thank you

18. skicker

skicker
    from Gone

273-318-340 pre 71 is what you need. These are cast iron, not aluminum and will change the lower radiator hose to the drivers side. You will also need the crank pulley, w/p pulley and alternator brackets. If you have power steering you will also need the p/s brackets. You can do it without the timing cover and balancer swap but there is no way to time it with a timing light. To do it right you will also need a pre 71 balancer and timing cover. If you get in a pinch I may have a complete set coming on a car I bought and haven't picked up yet.