Register now to get rid of these ads!

need a REAL tight tuck SBC header

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chromedRAT, Mar 10, 2005.

1. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

the draggin full length headers on the 65 impala have got to go. would like to get a real short blockhugger type header instead, but alot of em turn in too far down to work for me, as i gotta clear the steering box in this endeavor. i've heard there are headers that advertise that they occupy more or less the same space as factory ram's horn manifolds, any of you guys got particulars on these or any others that might work?? model number, or manufacturer or anything?

2. Speedway motors has them,,HRP

3. When we put my kid's shubox together, we narrowed a front steer camaro subframe for it. We built a 400 sbc for it and the narrow confines left very little room for exhaust. We used the Speedway block hugger headers and they worked ok in this application

4. Josh............check out Ebay.........the price's very but I've seen them go for between $45 and $100. Just another avenue to try.........good luck!

5. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Look into the ones the use in S10 V8 swaps. I think you might be able to go to Jegs or Summit and get some dimensions to see if they will work.

6. Steve

Steve

If these will work I'd go with the sanderson. they cost a little more but you won't have to keep replacing blown header gaskets. You don't even run these with header gaskets. Been running mine for 3 years and not one problem.

7. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

cool. i'll check the sandersons out. went to jegs tonight and the bastards close at 7, we got there at 7:05. prolly make the trip up again tomorrow and see what they've got too. if i ain't sure, looks like sanderson is the way to go. damn car's got a real weird set of geometry on the driver's side... thanks fellas!

8. tid

tid

I got a pair of Hedman headers (Jegs # 050065004) that really hugged my 383 in a 55 Bel Air, hugged so tight that the oil filter was resting on the pipe. Had to install a Stealth Conversion offseat oil filter adapter that stepped my filter down to a PH3980.

9. Get a pair of the repro 2-1/2" outlet Vette Rams horns 150 bucks....they will outrun em and easier plug/wire fit-Look better too.

Saw em on ebay......must be good;)

10. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

hmmm. who makes the repro ram's horns? i just went up to Jegs again tonight, well, tried, snowed so damned bad i could only see about 20 ft in front of the car at 25 mph. i think i'll just get the sanderson ones, they look like they'll fit for sure. will check out the other ones as well though. thanks fellas!