Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a new antenna

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Jul 29, 2013.

1. usmile4

usmile4

When doing the body work on my 51 chevy, I came across a thread about frenched antennas. Since I was cutting and welding anyway, I decided to give it a try.

[​IMG]

I installed a motorized antenna and have had nothing but trouble with it. Today while trying to get it working right it just broke on me. So I'm thinking I'm just going to replace it with a manual one that I can collapse and extend when I need it. I listen to AM at times so I want something that works for both AM/FM.

Can someone point me to a good antenna? I've got around a 3 1/2" french so I would like to find something that collapses down fairly short but has a good extension to it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. Just walk around the bone yard? (auto wreckers)

3. usmile4

usmile4

Most of the cars in my U-Pull-It are imports or cars with the antenna in the windshield. I was hoping to get some feedback on brands others have used.

4. Was a time where you could buy those everywhere. At least you didn't forget about it like i did. Did the bodywork painted it and realised i forgot the dam antenna. So i went with a hidden one. Works to.

5. usmile4

usmile4

does it work for AM? I've done a search and thought most people said the hidden ones don't work for AM.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Antennas that collapse all the way down are now hard to find, used to be all over. Harada makes them, called "anti theft" antennas, or similar. They had a key you would have to use if you pushed them all the way down, and they locked.
    I get them online now. Local stores don't carry them.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=31828

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  7. usmile4

usmile4

How does this one work for AM reception?

8. Dennis D

Dennis D

Look at antennas for a 65-66 Corvette. Check Corvette Centrals site, I am sure they will have them. The replacements aren't to expensive and are fairly compact. Restored original, bend over! Dennis D

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

100 bucks plus is too expensive for me.

10. Yes it does but who listens to am except a sports channel

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

They do work fine, you just have to remember to pull them up full height. I like to keep mine just a couple inches up out of the frenching hole (for looks), and then forget to pull them up before i drive the car.

12. Dennis D

Dennis D

For a power antenna? Dennis

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. usmile4

usmile4

I googled the one that Mr48Chev posted and my local AutoZone had one on the shelf for $13. I installed it today and I got tunes, good AM for the baseball games, and my iPod hook up so I'm set to hit the road.

I told my son we have lost a little of the cool factor since it is not the electric one that will rise up from the fender and he replied but we have the cool of having a working radio...good point!

Thanks for all the help. Bill

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Early 90's Honda has a somewhat compact power antenna, which is easily repaired, if needed.

4TTRUK

16. Glad you found one. I was going to suggest an auto supply store like Auto Zone or O'Reilly. Sometimes I find older ones still in original package at swap meets...and usually pretty cheap. Normally some on e-bay too.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had actually looked at it's twin hanging on the wall in my shed where it's been for the past twelve years or so this past weekend when I was looking for something else. Mine is still in the package. Glad to have been of help.