Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need a little help with Wiring a turn signal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Action Girl, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Hello!

My turn signal assembly on my 51 Chevy died. I bought one of those aftermarket ones at York and thought it would be an easy install but I have wires left over and nothing works.

I have the EZ wiring 22 installed in my car that I put in years ago. From the panel, I have the following wires coming up the column.

Two red hdlt sw 22
    1 yellow turn sw M
    1 green turn sw M
    1 lt blue left signal indicator
    1 dark blue right signal indicator
    1 white stop switch
    1 purple TS flasher

The turn signal switch is a 5007R by United Pacific. It hooks to the column with a stainless hose clamp.

The wires off of that are as follows:

Brown- right rear flasher lamp
    Green- right front flasher lamp
    Orange- left rear flasher lamp
    Yellow- left front flasher lamp
    Red- Stop switch
    Black- flasher L terminal
    Blue- flasher P terminal (for indicator lamp inside switch)

After I hooked up the obvious stuff, I have extra wires without mates. Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Stacey

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I had a hell of a time with turn signal when I was younger because I did not understand the whole 7 wire thing...which I will elucidate.
    During analysis use a flashlight bulb and battery type circuit tracer, thus or home made:

[​IMG]
    this helps you figgerout where each mystery wire actually goes.
    The secret concept, brought to us by aliens, is here:
    The big concept is that rear lamp brake and signal circuits are separate right and left and separate from front signals.
    Brake light wire from brake switch goes straight to the turn signal switch. When switch is centered, that wire is hooked to both rear signal filaments. When switch is turned to one side, that side only is disconnected from the brake light feed and connected to flasher...this prevents brake light from blanking out the flash.
    I spent most of one year in college figuring that out.

3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I put a similar one in my Ron Francis wired 1951 Ford, if I remember correctly you shouldn't have any extra wires left over. I know I didn't.

I know it's not terribly helpful...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The only possible extra is the one that blinks the little light on switch...there are various ways that is handled.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. F&J

F&J

I would only hook up one thing at a time, in this case.

Try just the brake wires by them selves, others all disconnected. So the white wire from your EZ wiring goes to the red on the switch...

then these two on your EZ should be right and left REAR wires that do two jobs...brake lights, and R or L signal. I forget which is R and which is L, but the guys here should post it up, as trailer wire plugs use that same two colors.
    1 yellow turn sw M
    1 green turn sw M

Get that far and then see if the brake lights work.. then come back with the results.

6. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call United Pacific, they can walk you through it. I used one of their turn signals under similar circumstances and they had me up and going in 15 minutes.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. chargin03

chargin03

Speedway Motors has a diagram on line.

8. 24riverview

24riverview

Two red hdlt sw 22---not sure why these are there, don't see in the manual either
    1 yellow turn sw M---Orange- left rear flasher lamp
    1 green turn sw M---Brown- right rear flasher lamp
    1 lt blue left signal indicator---Yellow- left front flasher lamp
    1 dark blue right signal indicator---Green- right front flasher lamp
    1 white stop switch---Red- Stop switch
    1 purple TS flasher---Black- flasher L terminal
    This should make the turn signals work if they did before (assuming the lt. blue and blue are hooked to the front turns and not just indicators).
    The "Blue- flasher P terminal (for indicator lamp inside switch)" requires the use of a 3 terminal flasher but is only used for the indicator light, there are ways around that though.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a couple of schematics that I have, may assist? TurnSignal.jpg 601466.jpg

10. zz29

zz29