Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a little help identifying an early Flathead intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Jan 28, 2009.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Ok fellas, put on your thinking caps...!

This is a photo of an early flathead that was run by one of the original members of our club, The Hot Irons.

I swear I feel like I know the intake, but for the LIFE OF ME, I cannot figure out what it is!!
    I do know it is certainly a pre-WWII item as this photo dates to circa 1939-40. Keep that key point in mind. That actually subtracts a lot of things that might get in the mix.

Thanks in advance fellas! It's very much appreciated!

(This image was made possible by the family members who inherited their father's photographic collection, and have given me their permission on sharing it with others.
    Please respect their allowing me to share this with you all, by refraining from copying the image,etc. Thanks for your understanding, please enjoy the photo and a little bit of history.):)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Is it a Thickstun?

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

From what little I can see of it, my first guess is an early Weiand.

4. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Don't know. Looks like it has bolt on carb. risers that have a taper. Very different from my MP7 Thickstun.

5. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I thoght of an early Thickston, they did a bit of research and found no Thickston that look the same at all.

I know the boys made a lot of their own stuff,...BUT, I have this photo scanned in, and am able to enlarge it up quite a bit before any usable detail is lost, and it does not appear to be home made at all.

Mind you, this was taken in either 1939 or 1940! So it has to be really early,..prewar.

6. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Here's a little bit more enlarged shot of the engine,...
    perhaps easier to view the intake.

If you look close at the bases of the risers, they do look as if the're actually "bolted" to the main bodyof the manifold.... but bolted to what? What would accept those risers?

**(This image was made possible by the family members who inherited their father's photographic collection, and have given me their permission on sharing it with others.
    Please respect their allowing me to share this with you all, by refraining from copying the image,etc. Thanks for your understanding, please enjoy the photo and a little bit of history.)

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Wow! that is cool. I can see it better now.

8. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Yes, I was up untill 3:25in the morning doing research into the collection of photos I was graced with by the son of one of the club's past members from the 1930s.

My job was identifying faces and cars,... checking numbers, race records against photos, dates,...that has to be one of the best feelings,.. pieceing together the puzzles of the past! There is a certain story that evolves one chip at a time untill a story is told right before your eyes.

Wonderful! No other word for it!

9. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

It has to be kind of rare being this is a 21 stud engine, right?

10. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Not exactly. I've seen 21 stud stuff at a lot of swap meets over the years, so i'm not sure exactly how "rare" it really is, being that I've just personally not had experience with it myself.

I do think I may have made some headway on what it might be, via a helpful fellow,....???

11. alchemy

alchemy

An intake from a 21 studder will bolt perfectly fine on a 24.

I can guarantee you it isn't a Thickstun PM-7, or the early model either.

Attached Files:

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Looks like an early Edmunds.....
    Compare the area circled in your pic to this one.

Attached Files:

13. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

14. Yeah, I have a very early Thickston with bolt on risers, it does not look like that. I think Sinistercustom is on to something...

15. And, if I remeber right, the ones that say "Eddie Edmunds" are the earliest of his parts

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

In the 64 years I've been taking up space I've never seen one like it. It will be interesting if it can be figured out.

Frank

17. I would have to say that Sinister has it nailed. looking at the flat portions of the intake fore and aft. Also the heat tubes (or what look like heat tubes) in the carb risers look the same. They look like squares on the point at the base of each carb.

18. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

[​IMG]

19. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I certainly agree!

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated!

20. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Thank you,... I believe we've solved the mystery!

Thanks to one and all.

21. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I again want to thank everyone here for their generous help. It really is greatly appreciated! The info gained will be put to good use and further the preservation of history.

Best wishes to everyone here. if you'r on the east coast right now,... hang in there, this crap weather is almost through for at least today!
    Sun will come soon!
    Thanks!

22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

No prob CoalTown! I have a TON of flathead intake pics that I've saved over the years.....just for situations like this...haha....:D

23. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

This is the Eddie Edmunds , water heated intake , I ran for a while on my 5W . Like the one in question . Made in Portland , Or. about 1937.........Z.D.

Attached Files: