Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a little help from the Rambler, AMC guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KROWN Kustoms, Nov 16, 2010.

1. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Hey guys, I have a 65 rambler cross county 770 wagon that im having transmission problems with. It seems to do ok untill it shifts into third. It shifts good 1st 2nd but it doesnt want to shift to third and when it does it slips going into third but once in third doesnt slip at all even under a heavy load? adjusted the linkage and it improved but still having the same problem. Anyone had this issue?, any info would be great. Dont wanna do a rebuild on the tranny if not necessary.

2. nali

nali

Did you adjust the cable linkage , connected to the carb shaft ?
    I think it need to be just a little tight to work correctly .
    Try unscrewing the bolt .

3. Get yourself a real Motos Manual (Big Blue Bible) service manual. They cover total adjustment very well in layman terms. If the problem is still there then you know what's next.
    The Wizzard

4. Doesn't that trans have a vacuum modulator? If so, see if there's fluid in the vacuum line. Have you dropped the pan to see what's inside? I think that would be the first step

5. nali

nali

I don t think the trans has vacuum . It s probably a aircooled BW like mine .

6. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

If it a Flash-o-matic like the 58 trans. it has a Vacuum Mod.

7. nali

nali

Yes . But if it s like my 66 Ambassador there s not :)
    I suppose a 1958 still use the 196 , and his 1965 the 232 engine . Not the 287 or 327 because it s just a 770 . So he may have the same trans as mine .
    My Flash of Matic doesn t use vacuum .

8. My 63 has a vacuum modulator (287 engine). I would still recommend dropping the pan.

9. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Wasn't the"FlashOmatic's related to the Ford "FMX" at least the pan was the same I recalled?

10. nali

nali

Same parts inside I think . Ford buy the trans to Borg Wagner , and later used the patent to build them by themselve .

11. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Thanks for the info guys, I havent had a chance to get under the car, but i can not find a vacum line going to the transmission, so i dont think it is vac modulated. Gonna mess around with the adjustment of the linkage and see what I can come up with before I tear into it.

12. farna

farna

Is this a six cylinder or V-8 car? The V-8 should have a vacuum line AND a TV cable in 65 only. The six had only the TV cable. Check the drivers side rear of the main housing right where the output shaft housing bolts on. There may be a nipple for a vacuum line there. 66 and some late 65 models didn't use the vacuum line, so you may not have one. The line didn't go to a modulator, just a nipple where it controlled a valve inside the trans.

If you don't have the place for the vac line, check the governor. There is an oval inspection cover on the output shaft housing. The governor is under that. Reotate the shaft until you see the governor. There are two screws holding it on. Remove those screws but be careful! There is a piston and a spring under the top. Remove those two items and thoroughly clean them. A sticking governor will cause a delay in 2-3 shift. If you do drop something in the housing it's not too big a deal. The housing has to come off, so you have to pull the rear axle/torque tube assembly. Not hard, just another hour or so of work.

If that doesn't solve the problem, pull the valve body and thoroughly clean it. I'd get a manual showing where everything in the valve body goes before pulling it. Disassemble, clean in mineral spirits, then reassemble. A sticking 2-3 shift valve could be the problem, but may as well clean the entire VB while it's out.

Still have slow shifts? Time for a rebuild. Both clutch packs engage to hold 3rd gear, so the clutches are probably about gone. Front clutch and rear band holds first gear, front clutch and front band hold second gear, rear clutch and rear band reverse.

13. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Thanks for the info Farna when I get a chance i will check on that. Gettin it ready to paint right now, kinda jumpped in front of my other project but is straight and the closest one to being ready for paint and cruise time