Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a little guidance on shipping to Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Aug 30, 2011.

1. What is the best way to ship parts (a distributor) to Australia??? Never shipped parts overseas before. UPS??? Fed EX??? Dunno.

And I'd like to get paid via Paypal. That the best way?

Any words of wisdom you can provide here would be much appreciated. The part is going to a fellow HAMB member.

Thanks, fellas.

2. roundvalley

roundvalley

I sent some parts to the U.K. last month. Used the U.S. Postal Sevice and got paid with a Money Gram. Was fast pay and simple.

What does your buyer suggest??

3. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

I've had good luck shipping internationally with the postal service and usually have been paid VIA PayPal. So far it's worked for me..

4. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Been shipping to Oz for years. By far the best and quickest way is Priority Air International. Not a failure yet.

5. I am in Australia.
    Never had a part go missing via USPS, cheapest also.
    Get your money paid as 'GIFT' via paypal, that was you dont get the transfer costs and if the guy tries to be shifty he cant pull his money.
    Tracking number is a 'must' for both your and his peace of mind.

6. just got my 31 cowl panels from Mikes a-ford-able parts

sent by United States Postal Service, payed by c-card on his site www.mikes-afordable.com.

ordered on the 17th and arrived today the 31st

had a few parts sent over to me, most using USPS.:)

7. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Just shipped a floor shifter to Australia. Used USPS priority mail. I am sure your distributor should fit in a large priority mail box. It cost about $40.

8. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I have shipped a lot of shirts to Australia and New Zealand and the USPS has been the best for service and price. You will get the best international rate by NOT using their flat rate boxes.

9. OK, that explains what just happened. A fellow paid via "electronic check" and cripes, Paypal charged ME for a handling fee!!! And the check still hasn't cleared, so I still don't have good funds. What the ----???

So I request that they send money via "Gift." Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate the tip.

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

The "gift" doesn't always work. I think they have a limit on them. It quit working for me.

11. So what is the best way to get paid via Paypal and not have them charge me with the "handling" charge? I think this charge is when the payer uses Paypal for an electronic check. Don't know if there is another way to send $$$ or pay for items or not.

12. 68 truck

68 truck
    from Kansas

i've shipped to germany Australia canada. all usps. because ups and fedex like to charge the buyer hugh fees for getting the parcel through customs. and the buyer has to pay that. and they wont like paying that fee. print your label through paypal and get a free tracking number. express mail will get you a tracking number all the way to his door. priority mail only gets you a tracking number until it reaches australia. express mail is more expensive.

13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

There is really no way around the fee even if they pay through their own paypal money. Paypal is instant money but electronic check is 3 days typically.

14. The flat rate boxes are good...to a point...box it up in a regular box, weigh it & check www.usps.com under the shipping calculator tab...it will give you a damm good idea what it will cost. If its over $42.00 then use a Flat Rate Box.

15. zapp69

zapp69

USPS all the way, seems you guys love to use UPS but they suck to Australia and charge very large fees for the trouble (and there usually is)

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

USPS with tracking, never lost a thing in all my years collecting parts and reasonable prices. With multiple items from different sellers I consolidate them first in US before sending down under.. Even DHL for larger items has been successful and cost effective, I was surprised. FEDEX and UPS are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE ex USA. Check USPS site as suggested. PayPal or credit card is the way to go, not WESTERN Union. Money orders still need to be posted.

17. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

I´m from Sweden and buys lots of parts from usa. Ask the guy if he needs the asap, if so. Use UPS. Otherwise use Usps, it is sheeper but takes around 2 weeks. =)

Use paypal, nothing else. Its a pain using the bankoffice, loads of paperwork and it takes days for them to transfer the money.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

If small use US Postal Service Express Air and it will arrive at your Door QANTAS Australian Air Express. I would not do it any other way. The bigger the parcel the more expensive it may become and more likely to attract Customs duty. You need to know what you are getting and what duty it may attract. I can get goods here in seven days from the East Coast US to Central Victoria, Australia.

As for other freight services I have been delayed with goods in Customs and had paper work mixed up with medical supplies or something like that so UPS and Fed Ex get a big No from me.

Recently had a bad experience being billed by Fed Ex for Quarintine inspection for something sent to me as a gift. I can tell you that did not go over very well with me and Fed Ex heard from me.

As for payments to the US I have seen that change over the years. I never email credit card details. Paypal is changing and you can use that without being a member to pay some one.