Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need a flathead flywheel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by model A hooligan, Jul 15, 2018.

1. doing a t5 conversion on a 48 flathead with merc crank,and can't get the right flywheel. The one I have is for a ford crank. Looking for a merc flywheel because the 1/8 difference and for the big clutch 49-53. The bigger clutch doesn't have the counterweights that hit the bell housing

Anyone know of a supplier? Speedway is on back order

Attached Files:

2. Raunchy

Raunchy

3. Andy

Andy

I had a 48 flathead with a Merc crank. You need to use a 48 style flywheel. The later one in the ad will hit the block. You can tell an earlier flywheel by the real wide ring gear and the pressure plate bolts are not drilled through. I ran a 10" clutch with no slippage or interference.

4. ford crank is 1/8 different..already have the non merc flywheel

Needs to be for merc crank with the larger clutch pattern. I have not seen one.

Here's the deal,this is my fathers project that I'm trying to help him get done. From what I understand it's a 48 24 stud,with a merc crank, using a cornhusker bell,and a s10 t5. I'm told the smaller clutch has weights that kick out and hit the bell. I'm told the larger clutch does not. We have the larger clutch setup in boxes.

It had a standard 3speed trans before and the starter was chewing up the ring gear due to the 1/8 difference on the ford flywheel and merc crank he was using. I need a flywheel to accept the larger clutch for the clearance and accept using the merc crank.

I believe he has a starter that kicks out farther now,but his flywheel is for the small clutch.was told the flywheel is out of a BIG truck but I don't know. Just trying to help him get this together

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Andy is right, the rear of the crank is the same, the flywheels are different, early and late.

RMR&C likes this.
  6. Raunchy

Raunchy

7. Andy

Andy

All flathead flywheels fit all the cranks. You need a flywheel that fits your engine.

RMR&C likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

I bet the reason your starter was chewing up the ring gear before is because you had a late flywheel on an early engine. You need a 48 and older flywheel. And if you can't find one with the proper pressure plate bolt pattern, you can just have it drilled.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2018-7-16_9-52-48.png
    I got an Aluminum fly wheel from Wilcap for my flattie. Super nice to work with.

10. Andy

Andy

Just a thought. You could have the 48 flywheel drilled for a B&B 10 1/2 diaphragm clutch. Then you can use the Chevy throw out bearing. I have used the Chevy bearing by bending the Ford fork to match. If you have the Chevy side fork, you are already to go.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This thread needs to be erased and started over! The wrong start has multiplied into absolute gibberish!
    Andy and Alchemy have things right.
    Restart needs to specify what wheel you have, verify that block is early, and whathehell pressure plate and disc diameter you want! Early block and one of its proper flywheels will readily take 9, 10, and 11 inch clutches and can take non-Long ones with redrilling. If you use a late wheel, clutch type does not matter at all because the engine will no longer rotate...

stillrunners, Andy and sidevalve8ba like this.