Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need a caddy 331 rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2xcrash, Nov 22, 2014.

1. 2xcrash

2xcrash

I got a 1950 Caddy 331 that is stuck and I'm working on unsticking it.
    If I end up needing a rebuild anyone have a recommendation in the So Cal area to take it to.
    And if anyone knows what it would cost. The motor was rebuilt a few years ago so lets assume for shits and giggles the heads are good. I'm not looking on hooping it up just get it up and running...

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

If no real water has been down the cylinders you might be able to just unstick it and take it apart and clean everything and put it back together with a new gasket set. I did that with one that had been rebuilt and hopped up in the late '50s. The inly thing I regret is not taking out the freeze plug and making sure the block was clean. Oh and the valve guides were shot and had been knurled once before. I had to replace them. It is a pretty modern style engine and any good rebuilder should be able to do it. Parts are pretty easy to come by on ebay or some hamb venders.

3. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I acquired a 57' 365" Caddy motor with 36,xxx miles on it. It came from a burned up car. Apparently 10 yrs priority when it burned just a splash of water somehow got thru the aircleaner down into 1 cylinder. Luckily the stuck piston was at the top of its stroke so I was able to tear the whole motor apart including the rotating assembly. I left Marvel Mystery Oil sit on top of the piston for 2 weeks meanwhile every night hitting the the piston a good whack with a hammer with a piece of wood in between to not hurt the piston. Eventually it got free enough to pull the piston out. After ball honing and reassembly it was a great running motor!

4. txturbo

txturbo

My 56 had a rebuilt motor in it that had never been run. Some water got in at some point and rusted 1 cylinder. It wasn't stuck and it would run but not very well. Pulled it out and took it to the Machine shop. Had to put 1 sleeve in it and replaced the bearings. Cost me $1000. Both heads were cracked....still haven't found a good set.

5. 2xcrash

2xcrash

I've decided to go with a different motor. If you need a good set of heads hit me up mine look good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 2xcrash

2xcrash

I've decided to go with a different motor. If you need a good set of heads hit me up mine look good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!