Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a burnt orange color for 56 Mainline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ctfortner, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

UPDATE - Color picked and car painted see page 3

Hey all, I thought I had this all figured out, but I dont. My 56 Ford Mainline Tudor is at the body shop and he needs a color by tomorrow. I have pretty well narrowed it down to a burnt orangy, coppery color. Probably with a white or beige top.

So I had been planning on going with the atomic orange on the newer corvettes, LOVE that color. Also was looking at the newer Jeep and Dodge color Sunburst Orange. Problem is these all have like 5 different tints in them, and I just would like to go with an easier to repair color since I will drive this ol girl often.

I ran across sierra gold/adobe beige today on the 57 Chevy's, that looks great to. Its not exactly the burnt orange I was going for, but not that far off. Can anyone recommend some more before I make a decision, something solid, non metallic. BC/CC paintjob. My painter uses PPG Deltron paint.

Thanks!

I like these colors for an idea of what I am looking for

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

68 69 corvette had a burnt orange

3. jedsled

jedsled

isnt all "burnt orange metallic thats what makes it look like that

4. Ole don

Ole don

The Jeep color with a bright white top and clean up the wheels, it will be perfect.
    And we want to see the finished product.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

PPG has some great Oranges. Pick from your painters color chart. Try looking at some Cadillac colors. All of the color choices will tend to have metallic in them.

6. The 1972 Gm color "Burnt Orange Iridescent Mist" is what I once painted my Fairlane. Loved that color.It came out on 72 Camaros and 72 Vettes.On Vettes it was called Ontario orange. I personally like the shades a littler lighter than the Jeep pictured.I also once owned a 97 Mustang with a burnt orange paint but I liked the GM color better because it was a touch brighter.

7. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

2000 Honda Element Tangerine Mist Code YR563ML, Check it out,I think you'll like it. Basic base clear. its the color in my avatar.

8. I've always liked this color, not sure what it's called. I think the owner is on the HAMB
    [​IMG]

9. My 1999 VW GTI is a burnt orange metallic like the one posted above. Great color. I bought it super cheap and the color has grown on me. It would look great on a custom.

10. Ontario Orange firemist ........'71 - '72 Corvette color.
    I had my 1968 Corvettte roadster shot in that color and next in line is my '32 Roadster.
    It's a poppin' color!

11. Prowler Orange is a good choice too from the Chrysler family.

12. Mr. Edsel

Mr. Edsel

Ford did not offer any "burnt orange" color per se, but did have a gorgeous non-metallic color in '56 called Mandarin Orange (manufacturer's code N). Only minor problem is, it was only offered on Fairlane Victorias and not on the lower series. Still, if you want a knock-out color without completely destroying the original integrity of your car (see photo), you could always DSO a Mainline in Mandarin Orange!

Attached Files:

13. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Nissan Pathfinders have a cool burnt orange, non metalic color.

14. 58Hound

58Hound
    from Taft, TX

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

GM Sunburst Orange Pearl Metallic. Sorry about the O/T car, try to focus on the color. This was a cloudy day, looks better in the sun. Go check out the color chip.

Attached Files:

16. rusty A

rusty A

You should take a look at the orange on the 2012 chevy sonic.

17. Ford Exploders around 1998-2000 had a burnt orange. It looked like shit on the Exploders, but my wife's cousin painted her 61 Caddy that color with a pearl white roof and it looked bitchin'.

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

Your painter doesn't have any charts for you to pick from ?

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This is more of a ginger,cinnamon (brown) factory 1972 ford color.
    I saw it in person recently on a mavrick at a show and it really looks good.
    [​IMG]
    As much as I like them, some of the more orangy burnt oranges are starting to become too over done and common in my oppinion.
    ............or maybe its just me as I have 2 friends that have burnt orange cars that have been done in the last couple years.

20. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Early 70's Ford pick up had a non metalic Burnt Orange

21. BigChief

BigChief

Here's your color. Its a GM factory color called Sunset Orange Metallic. Tony here on the HAMB painted his '53 that color. You can PM tony for more pics or do a search. I'm sure he's got some images that really show it well in several different lights. Its a perfect mix of copper and burnt orange without that muddy look typical burnt orange colors have.

Here's link to one of his posts, the pics do the color no justice.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36116

22. von birch

von birch

I'm using GM "Fusion Orange" with Chrysler "Cool Vanilla" on my 30 Model A tub...eventually...but the orange is a nice, bright orange, but more subdued than some. At first I thought it wasn't going to be bright enough, but after seeing it on some of my parts, I'm really happy with the color!

23. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

I don't know what the code is,
    but here are some pics I took of a AD Truck in South Carolina.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  24. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Late 70s ford p/u also had a burnt orange solid. Had one. Choose carefully. It's everything. Good luck

25. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Thanks everyone, some awesome colors. I have to say many of the ones yall posted are metallic, and honestly those are the ones I like the most, so far. I like the metallic look a lot, everyone just keeps tell me how difficult its going to be to touch up and all. However, thinking about it our daily driver cars are metallic, my truck is 12 years old and still looks awesome and I drive it all over. Even in the woods when I hunt. Sure its got dings and scratches.

So considering the car will be a casual driver, by no means a showcar, WTF, I should paint it what I like and if that is metallic so be it, right?

I do like this to, the adobe beige/sierra gold 57 chevy colors, what do yall think about it on the 56 ford?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Morning crew have any new suggestions, before I make a decision this afternoon?

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Go for it! It will look killer,The sierra gold looks more like a brown coppery color if its mixed rite than some of the orangy burnt oranges.
    (I have heard that a very fine metalic needs to be used on this color to get it rite)

If the body work is done rite and the painter knows what he is doing,I wouldnt be worried about touchups etc. before I even got it painted.

28. The burnt orange on the '73 Olds was a good color if you are looking for a true Burnt Orange. it was even called Burnt orange.

I assume that you are shooting for a classic color, if so you may look at Haywain Bronze. it isn't as orange as burnt orange but it is an excellent color and a popular color way back when.

OK that said '73 Olds burnt orange good color.

29. Jeff J

Jeff J

Hummer had a color one year in 2003 a sunset orange ! painted my trailer that color ! Was a easy color to paint and good coverage!

30. 54 Victoria built & formerly owned by HAMB member "daddy_o's_diner"...

[​IMG]