Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need a 1950s Automatic Transmission Rebuilt in the Detroit Area. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GZ, May 10, 2021.

1. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Asking for a good friend:
    Can anyone recommend any automatic transmission rebuilders in the Detroit or surrounding areas?
    Specifically, it is an automatic transmission for a 1956 Oldsmobile. The transmission is out of the car. He just needs the trans, etc rebuilt-he will re-install it himself
    My two "go to" recommendations are no longer in business.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  2. Oilguy

Oilguy

Good luck with that. If your area is like where I live, no one does that anymore. The one guy I went to for help passed away a couple of years ago. No one wants to rebuild or even adjust an old Powerglide. But I live in a relatively small community so that could be part of the problem.

3. 56 was a changeover year. Does he have the Jetaway transmission, or the older Hydramatic?

4. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

He has the older Hydramatic. Thanks.

5. PM'd you.

6. no55mad

no55mad

It's on the other lake shore in Holland, but there is an independent one man shop, with 50 years experience, trans builder that can possibly help. Recommended a 57 Olds owner to him, with trans problems, last year. PM for info if that might work out for you.

7. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

no55mad-PM sent, Thanks, GZ