Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need 55 Chevy Master Cyl help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el shad, Aug 12, 2010.

1. el shad

el shad

I'm helping my homeboy fix the brakes on his 55 Chevy Post. It needs a master cylinder and the parts counter guys locally want to know the color of the car and if it has ac. I know... No suprise.

I did a quick search and got very little.

So please help point me in the right direction for some quality American made parts please. Thanks!

-Chad

2. aaggie

aaggie

Good luck with "Made in the USA", even if you went to a local GM dealer the part would probably be from India or China.

A close hope would be a company like MBM or ECI. Both have websites and advertise in the Goodguys Gazette. I bought a power booster/master cylinder combo from MBM and it works great.

3. John Stimac

John Stimac

Try Kantner on the East coast. They advertise in Hemmings

4. primed55

primed55

if your not worried about "correct" get a dual res. for a late 60's early 70's Chevelle. Just make sure you tell them it's a 4 wheel drum car (if thats what's still on the 55). To install it you only use the two lower mounting studs on the firewall and you have to do some plumbing to seperate the front and rear brakes. It's alot safer than the stock single unit.

5. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

You can use a 64 - 66 chevy pick-up master cylinder or change to a later 67-70 dual, all you have to do is split the lines from the front and rear. They are a lot safer, if you break a line or a wheel cylinder starts to leak, you still have brakes on the other end. Hope this helps. If you're 55 has disc you can use the 71' up master cylinder. Hope this helps, Don

6. inline 292

inline 292

Go over to 10th St. NAPA & see Terry the manager or Zam. Tell 'em 55 Chev. Doug sent you. No guarantee where its from, but I'm sure they'll have it or get it.

7. el shad

el shad

I know both Terry and Zam. I will go see them.

Thanks everyone for the info!

8. primed55

primed55

is there an echo in here?

9. el shad

el shad

32Essex posted at the same time you were posting. Thank both of you for the info and there is no need to be a dick, primed55.

Thanks for the info guys. Once again I got the answers I needed.

-Chad