Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Necessity is the mother of ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

On the maiden voyage to York in 2010, I had an unusual issue that sliced a nice hole in the poly tank on the 36 Fordy and proceeded to drip gas along the highway at a pretty good rate and the metal piece that sliced it was still sticking in the tank and occasionally was striking the road!!:eek:
    My pals went to Wal-mart to get a boat fuel tank and fuel line while I drained the tank and pulled the metal out of the tank. We sniped the end off the boat fuel line and hooked it to the electric fuel pump, used the hand bubble primer on the boat gas line to prime it; and away we went!:)
    DSC01225.JPG
    DSC01226.JPG
    DSC01227.JPG
    So, yesterday I decide to take the new 1936 Ford cabriolet project that I just got on the road out for a spin... got almost a mile!:eek:
    Coasted into a friend's car lot and proceeded to see what the issue might be. Clear gas filter looked a little dirty. Got ride back to my house with my daughter and returned with a new filter. Hooked it up but was surprised that no gas really ran out of the hose. Tried elec pump but got nothing.:rolleyes:
    Found a parts store open that had the needed replacement pump and went to get it last night and put it together with sealant tape so would be ready to go.
    Today I replaced the pump and nothing really changed.:mad:
    Thought back to York and went home for a gas can and long fuel line.
    Returned and hooked it up and it started and drove home just fine.:)
    IMG_3545.JPG
    IMG_3546.JPG
    It is a good thing that I just added bumpers to the car!;)
    Ah, another "opportunity!";)
    I'll drop the tank to see what is the problem. Also, this will give me a chance to make sure the fuel gauge is working properly because I don't think it is working properly.
    A chance to get two birds with one stone... so to speak!
    I prefer not to be hunting!:D

2. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Had a friend with a gas can on the front passenger side floor with electric fuel pump running his daily driver for God knows how long. This wasn't anywhere near the dumbest or most ghetto modification he made to his cars when we were younger. Glad we survived those days.

3. Here in Alabama, that would be a permanent fix!:eek:

Stogy, BJR, lothiandon1940 and 8 others like this.
  4. In my neck of the woods the only difference is that there would have to be duct tape involved.

5. In Maryland we put the gas can on the drivers side to use as a seat and Velcro some sand paper to it for lighting our smokes.;)

6. Wow, I'm starting to feel fairly normal now. My return project (53 Panel) hasn't had good gas in the tank since 1987. I currently have a metal Boat Tank sitting inside on the floor with a steel line just dropped in through the cap hole and connected direct to stock fuel pump. I guess you could call it Permanently Temporary. I just need to remember to Butt my Smoke before I climb in. Like you, this is not my first go around with a Boat Tank.
    The Wizzard

Stogy, jbrittonjr and Hamtown Al like this.
  7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great story....good idea too

Hamtown Al likes this.
  8. My first car ('50 Buick) ran but the fuel pump was bad. Took the hood off and my (used to be) friend sat on the front fender pouring gas down the carb. I made a little too sharp right turn and the friend took a rather uncomfortable ride across the pavement. Needless to say, the friendship was dimmed a little.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I first got my Lincoln running, the gas line was rusted in two in several spots. I bought a two gallon gas can, drilled a 5'16" hole in the top and ran a piece of line to a electric pump then to the carb. I sat the can in between the radiator and grill on the bellypan, it fit like it was made to go there. Drove it around here for several days until I got the new gas line run.

Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

interesting "fixes" - late nite in central Texas at last moment spotted a armadillo in road - centered my Chevy II to go over it - did not quite clear - at home found out that gas tank had a hole in it from impact

Stogy likes this.
  11. Tough critters those armadillos:D.
    :eek:

Stogy likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hey JJ,
    Road hazards are all over the place...Gas tanks in most cars are ripe for getting hit, just because they are in the back and usually one of the lowest spots on the chassis. Despite the tons of undercoating and straps for protection, they get hit from items described or hit something because there are a ton of people inside.

One summer in Hawaii, we picked out a cool, used, British Army Green, 4 door, 1962 Nash Rambler American for $350.00. It had 30000 miles and was in great shape. We drove it back to our friend's house and it ran great. We all (6) fit neatly in the car.

We had some fix it items after a wild ride down a dirt road path to a hidden waterfall and a surf spot. We had a gas tank leak in the corner after bottoming out on a huge rut. We had a small torch and thought we could weld over the hole(s). But, we were hesitant to weld over the hole, as we were scared of the fumes remaining after draining the tank.

The tank was removed and thoroughly drained. First, we tried the two tube, epoxy type formula and it fell off, even though it hardened on the gas tank. The tank surface, probably, was not completely clean or had some oily stuff on it, despite our cleaning techniques. We then scrapped the undercoating completely off to bare metal.

Being surfers, we patched it with multiple layers of fiberglass cloth, fiberglass cloth shreds, and resin to make a hard shell over the small hole. After all, we looked at it as a metal surfboard that needed some water tight repairs. Once hardened, the leak test was successful and no further leaks for the rest of the summer.

Those multiple layers of 10 oz. fiberglass did the trick. As far as looks underneath, a black spray paint can did the job. Many years later, my friend still drove the Rambler and the fiberglass/resin combo was holding fast. "Mother of Invention," indeed...

upload_2018-7-19_3-43-7.png

13. BJR

BJR

I use a big old electric soldering iron, (not a soldering gun) to fix gas tank leaks. Since there is no open flame I have soldered tanks with gas still in them. Never a leak, and I am still here to tell the story. AB_550_Kit.jpg

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Boat gas tank, KUDOS ! Great temporary fix, you are a lucky man, that could have had a very different ending. that's one of ideas/tips that I hope I remember, but sadly with age, memory ........... who, what, where, when ?

VANDENPLAS, Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.
  15. oldolds

oldolds

A friend had the fuel pump break on a 440 powered driver. On a Sunday in Canada, had to be at work on Monday in Pennsylvania. They had 2 boat tanks. Hooked them up and squeezed that bulb all the way home. Good thing there were 5 guys in the car!

catdad49, Nostrebor and Hamtown Al like this.
  16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)