Register now to get rid of these ads!

NE Ohio HAMBERS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Zombo

Zombo
    1. oHIo

2. 9SECONDYENKO

9SECONDYENKO
    from usa

3. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Ohio is huge in drag racing and auto history. We have 14 strips, which is probably more than any other state. A few of them have been opened since late 50`s early 60`s. Dragway 42 was huge in the 60`s to early 80`s. Thompson and Norwalk and National Trail also...

We have Summit Racing, Jegs, Goodyear, Mr. Gasket, and all they carry, had Midwest Auto Specialties, Speed Shop...etc...

We have a good variety of cars. From muscle to hot rod. Considering we get snow and salted roads, it is pretty impressive all the old cars we have here. Dont see em as much lately though. Probably due to gas and money. Also the damn fast n furious craze, didnt help the younger kids either. Our junkyards are all 80`s and up baiscally as well. Not like the yards you see in Texas or Arizona or Cal. Where cars can sit outside for 50 yrs. and not even fricken rust at all. Lucky bass turds...

CruisinTimes magazine is great for car shows and swap meets etc. They have a lot of stuff listed. If you can find where they have the mags though. Their site has info...Also the Dave n Eds swapmeets is good for finding places and info as well. I do see more muscle car stuff at swaps though, but there are pre muscle as well...

Well I guess it is time to go shovel my sidewalk...Gotta love winter...Oh, that Thompson commercial was cool...

4. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

Seems to be quite a few from the Nordonia area.....I used to hang out with a couple of guys from that area...Is the yellow VW Bug with the big block chevy engine still raisin hell out that way? There was a guy in the early 90's that had a Chevelle (real nice car, quick too) He got his butt handed to him by that lil VW and was embarrassed as hell!! lol....Don't know the dude with the Chevelle ...just remember the race.

5. gassman57

gassman57

Here's a little history on Thompson Drag Raceway:
    The property is on Sidley road; back; and I mean long before our memory, there were sulky races at the exact same site, the property of one Ambros Sidley....my Great Grandfather!

6. mikew

mikew

Checking in from Mogadore, just outside of Akron.

My news year resolution is to get out more and meet some people...

I'm in.

Mike
    '62 comet

7. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Hey how did I miss getting in on this post. Canton here! Yep we got HOT RODs

Later,Bill

8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I grew up in Chesterland. I keep my old Logghe altered down there at mom's house. I still attend the Gasser Reunion each year at Thompson. Good times.

9. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

10. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Sweet nice to see so many people from ohio!
    Im in Barnesville, Ohio half hour from Cambridge!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Does anybody remember a '63 or 64 Dodge with ARDO on the doors. I bowled with him on the Walto Hills mens league in '73. Just wondering if he is a Hamber. I haven't seen him since or his buddy Steve.

12. Gasser57

Gasser57

Every color Chevelle with every combination of racing stripe was in Nordonia in the 80's and 90's. Gale, Longo, Peltz, and especialy Lee all had wicked fast ones then. That VW was a riot. With dragstrips everywhere, there was still quite a bit of action on the streets.

13. Algon

Algon

I've spent most of my years in the ghettos of Akron but for the last eight I've lived in Massillon. Its not exactly as friendly to the vintage automotive fan as I would have thought from large annual car show we have. The sad thing is not many people I know will actually bring a car down here because its too much like actually doing something for the cops to keep the wannabe thugs and skater punks off the cars. It has improved some what over past years but its still a shame and more of a hassle than a good time. The little cruise ins on Saturday nights are not as bad but I still hit Winks more often than the downtown run a few blocks away.

14. gassman57

gassman57

Thompson Gasser meets are a blast!!
    A little O/T but; anyone doing the Canton Auto Show Jan.23-25? Never been there; thought I'd give it a look around.

15. Lee you speak off, could that be Lee Hendricks?

16. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

Gasser Reunion at Thompson is scheduled for June 5-6-7. Best damn drag race of the year. My Olds is not HAMB friendly, but only by 1 year. But it does qualify for the Gasser race. Its what gets me thru this crappy snow season.

17. Gasser57

Gasser57

Jim Lee. Had his 67 since high school.

18. speed-kings

speed-kings

52 Gasr usually puts a car in the Canton show. I will go to check it out. The original Daisy Duke, Catherine Bach will be there this year. Maybe she will sport the dukes!!!

19. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

lol that would be the VW lol....there still is alot of action on the streets...

20. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Anyone remember the 425 Caddy powered VW with the engine in the back seat? it is still around and has been converted to digital injection.

Dave

21. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I heard she lives on a farm between Minerva and Alliance now!

I'm hit or miss with the Canton show. If I know someone debuting something there I'll go. Otherwise I tend to stay away, it isn't my cup of tea.

22. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

My Dad delivered mail W3st, Quigly, Under the Clark Ave Bridge. B&O Roundhouse Circus Circus Samsel Cleveland Builder's Supply, Shell Oil. One story was a guy didn't make the turn from Quigly onto W3st in a '57 Chevy Convt and went under a flatbed trailer and bought it. That was in the early '70s.[/quote]

who you haul hot rock for?? I haul hot rock as well from Shelly W 3rd plant all the time....

23. 201

25yrs. for Osterland and five years so far for Ohio Paving& Construction. I got the Mack R mod. tandem (dark blue). No, that wasn't me that cut you off on the freeway!

24. Algon

Algon

A few years back we did that show with a shop I worked at a couple times, we had the big booth in the center across from Summit Racing. What was a trip was I had an allergic reaction to some primer that made my vocal cords swell, and I sounded like Wolfman Jack. The people at the show got a big kick out of it but after three days of talking to people I completely lost my voice.

25. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I'm from northwest Ohio(Grand Lake St.Mary's),there's alot goin' on here too.Crusin' in the summer,buildin' in the winter.I seen a couple of posts about Dragway 42,here's a link to their website.They even have a live-cam view of the place,snow & all today.Pretty cool. Giz'
    http://www.dragway42.com/

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  26. gassman57

gassman57

That Dragway 42 live-cam is cool....

27. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

LMAO....I get cut off mainly by cars on the freeway..LOL.....I drive for Karvo Paving my truck is the red Kenworth 6 axle dump with a East aluminum box.

28. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

[​IMG]
    This was my '55 from the A&W Days..sold it to some kid in parma named A.J. now it has vanished. sorry only pic i have. Had a 454 , t-400, 410 rears. circa 1989

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  29. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

[​IMG]
    This is Cold War's 12.0 street driven Olds powered Gremlin from the A&W Days back in the eighties.