Register now to get rid of these ads!

NC Title & Registration of in-state car info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rhpope, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rhpope

rhpope

Has anyone had any recent experience registering and titling an in-state antique car with a previously issued original NC State issued title? It is my understanding that it is a straight forward changeover process like it has always been and there is no DMV inspector involved. Just a signed and notorized NC Title, go to the local DMV tag office, pay your money and you are done.

Unlike the out-of-state antique car coming into NC for the first time scenario like in the this thread where a DMV inspector is mandatory to verify the VIN or Motor Number stamped on the frame.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405553&highlight=vin+numbers&showall=1

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Do not assume they will not come inspect the car. They will give you the papers you need but may call or send a letter to have the car inspected. They have been doing it a lot for in-state cars as well as out of state cars. If your ducks are not in a row, i.e. the car does not match the paperwork, expect it. I've been through it personally for an in-state car as well as helping a few customers deal with it.

3. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

If they do inspect it, it's not like it's a hassle. Took me all of 10 minutes. They'll let you know if it's required when you go to register it. The process will be complete and you can drive it, you just won't receive your new title until you get the inspection done, and you have a year to do it.

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I just moved my 48 (titled here in 03) back to nc after a few years residence in SC. They will still do the inspection, but it's no big deal. It took like 10 minutes, the bigger deal is make sure you have ALL the necessary paperwork. My inspector forgot a form and they isssued, then withdrew my title. Have to reprocess it. No big deal, but PITA.

they'll likely issue a custom title, unless there are NO visible changes to the car. my delivery was originally titled as a 1948 SW (sedan delivery wasn't in the system).

5. Yea I am going through that right now, had a in state title with my 51 chevy truck, they (NCDMV) sent a letter saying the numbers are unreadable and it needs to be inspected, so we are in the process of trying to find factory numbers on this truck....they will probably have to issue a custom built title or some crap as there is no numbers we can find.....Don't assume they won't need to inspect it, just do what they say and you should be alright