Register now to get rid of these ads!

NC DMV and bond question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Nov 10, 2010.

  1. oldskoolflyer13
    Joined: Mar 29, 2009
    Posts: 274


    Background: local NC DMV comes out to inspect vehicle over a month ago...took pics to send up to Raleigh DMV. NC comes back and says I need a state VIN since the VIN plate on the car wasnt correct but the number was good. The inspector calls tells me I need a VIN, but no bond. Last week they show up to put the so called VIN on my '29 (which turns out to be a hideous sticker) and then tells me I need a bond. The car had a clear california title, numbers matching the VIN plate, and all appropriate paperwork.

    I thought bonds were for vehicles with no title or title that doesnt match. Now that Ive been told two different ways from the same inspector....who would I turn to besides the local retarded office,or are they correct? Why do I have to put a bond down if they said i didnt need on cause the title was good, but just needed a VIN?:confused:
  2. terd ferguson
    Joined: Jun 13, 2008
    Posts: 3,718

    terd ferguson

    I went through the same sort of thing with my '55 chevy pickup from GA. Never had a title since new. I had two bills of sale, one from seller to me and one from previous seller to previous owner. I had it inspected and the inspector told me I'd have a title in a few weeks. Instead, I got a letter saying I needed a bond and to apply for a bonded title.

    Best to just get it over with and do what they say. You really have no other recourse.
  3. dannya
    Joined: Feb 17, 2011
    Posts: 14


    If you have a california title with vin matching what i would do is go to a vin verifier not DMV or inspector but third party whos licensed and get the car verified and then fill out the application from there that should be called application for title and just summit that and only that you title from ca and vin verifiction and the title application and see if that works. If you need help with checking something down here in california let me know.
  4. frank spittle
    Joined: Jan 29, 2009
    Posts: 1,672

    frank spittle

    Could it be that the title and serial number on the car are not correct for a '29? Not saying that is the case but many years ago, back before it mattered, someone would use a '28 title and plate on a '29, etc. Be thankful the DMV is willing to work with you. They could refuse to let you register it. There is very seldom a happy moment at the DMV. They are not going to do you a favor that may come back to bite them.

  5. zman
    Joined: Apr 2, 2001
    Posts: 16,594

    from Garner, NC

    sorry man but that won't work in NC. The DMV officers are the ones that make the call. There are no 3rd parties in NC to do it. Even with a legit out of state title they will inspect it and make the call. The only way I've gotten around some of it is I put the car on a trailer and take to the license and theft here in Raleigh. I can usually get someone with more of a clue that way.
  6. I recently went through the same thing with my 48 plymouth in June of this year. I was told many different ways that the Bonded title process works. Here is the one way that worked for me.

    1. Go to the License plate office and find out the value of the car for tax purposes.
    2. Get a NC lost title bond from for 1.5 time the value of the car. (I used the serial number in the door jam as my vin #)
    3. Have a NC DMV Theft inspector come inspect the vehilce. (Ask for a written copy of the report or you paper work will take upto a year and a half to be completed.)
    4. Fill out this form
    5. Take the previous mentioned forms to the DMV License plate office along with a notarized copy of the bill of sale and original Title (if you have it) and pay the taxes, tag fee $28, notirization fee $5

    I was told by the DMV inspector that NC normally uses the Motor number for titles but since I had already purchased my Bond using the serial number it was ok.

    I was also told that the bonded title should arrive no later than four months. He even went on to say that in the past ten years he has only seen 3 peoples title application not get approved.
  7. i think you answered your own question . if your car is a 29 ford you shouldent have a vin plate you should have a stamped frame . so it sounds like there right to me . if you have a vin plate someone altered it and put it on the car
  8. Flat-Foot
    Joined: Jul 1, 2010
    Posts: 1,708

    from Locust NC

    Just do whatever Raleigh and the Inspector tell you. I went through it with a motorcycle last year. It can get frustrating but there is nothing you can about it.
  9. What he said. Sounds like regardless NC guys are free to be as anal as they want to, I have to say that's one of my top states I'd never consider living in.
  10. JeffreyJames
    Joined: Jun 13, 2007
    Posts: 16,612

    from SUGAR CITY

    I can't wait until I get the inspector over to my place to tell me that I have to lift the body off the frame because some knucklehead decided to drill holes through the vin number in front of the firewall. In that case I might do one of a few different things.

    A: Do what I am told and roll with the punches.
    B: Not Register it and just drive it
    C: Pull it in the garage and never think about it again
    D: Burn it.
  11. Flat-Foot
    Joined: Jul 1, 2010
    Posts: 1,708

    from Locust NC

    A: Pain in the ass but you don't have to worry every time the po-leese come around
    B: more of a pain in the ass if you get caught. Imagine being at heavy rebel or steel in motion and getting towed by said po-leese
    D:hells no

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.