Register now to get rid of these ads!

NC Bond appraisals...who does it around here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Jan 15, 2011.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Due to the holidays my search for people who do bond appraisals had come to a screeching halt. There is no one in the Fayetteville area that I know of...or at least advertises that appraises antique vehicles. I know some of you NC guys have had to get a indemnity bond cause of whatever DMV short comings or just plain lack of title (not my case...another story). Any help would be appreciated. I had contacted one person near Winston-Salem.....sent emails and heard nothing back. Maybe its time for me to go get my certification to do this around this area (often pondered thought).

Any leads would be appreciated.:cool:

2. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

We have one in the Raleigh area, not sure if he goes that far, but he might know one in your area. He is a real nice Guy. He help me out on my Speedster title. Twigg's Appraisal Inc 919-833-0696

3. frisco

frisco
    from Canton, NC

Several years back I had to get three appraisals to submit to a bond company as part of the application for a new North Carloina title for a 1948 Harley Davidson. The appraisals had to be made by a licensed motorcycle dealer. I went to a Harley, Honda and a Suzuki dealers. None had any idea as to the value, but all were ok with writing me an appraisal for what I suggested as to the worth. The bond is only to insure that IF someone comes along with proof of ownership of the vehicle within a short period of time (up to five years I think) that you will not be out all of your money. I opted for a low estimate to keep the cost of the bond low. Although the original serial numbers on the cases were used on the new title, North Carolina issued their own numbers that I had to stamp on the frame and the Highway Patrol had to verify. The title has both numbers on it. The process took about nine months from start to finish. It would have been much shorter but it took me a while to trailer the motorcycle to the three dealers. You will also need any and all Bill of Sales for the major components (engine,frame, front and rear end, trans, etc.)

4. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Short story of it all is that NC deemed that my VIN tag wasnt correct but good ID # on a car thats been registered in CA since '63, and had clear title, bill of sale and all CA DMV paperwork. Whatever...over being pissed at the matter...just trying to get a title...for my '29 Sport Coupe....my '29 modified single seater will be a goat screw.

The appraiser must be licensed in NC for indemnity bonds.....my insurance company says they can do a "bond" for me...but they looked at me weird when i said I needed a appraisal...will this type of bond work if I tell them the "value". My bill of sale says something a lot different than the actual $$amount spent

If insurance company's can do this, its too easy. Will a insurance company "Bond" be sufficient for DMV? DMV did say go to insurance company, bu tmy insurance company and I have gotten a mass amount of confusion going on

5. dudley32

dudley32

I brought a Triumph in from Georgia ( no title) all I had to do was get the bond...d32

6. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Who does the appraisals for something that old around here? Maybe im being the jackwagon.....

I know I need two appraisals....I doubt the ford dealer will be of much help (or will they). Is it the insurance company that writes a Surety Bond for 1.5 times highest appraisal?

I think the DMV inspector I had may very well have explained this a little out of my language. Could be like me talking military lingo to a civilian...just DMV to not DMV

7. dudley32

dudley32

If I remember correctly they used my bill of sale...I did not get an appraisal...
    but Georgia does not have titles on older vehicles...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  8. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

what gets me is that all my paperwork was squared away....figured i was good. The inspector originally said no bond needed...that all they had to do was put on a NC VIN...contradiction numero uno.

9. I was told by the DMV that the appraisal was to make sure the bond was enough and to make sure they charge enough for taxes. Just need a licensed dealer. See if you can find someone near you who sells classic cars. I think the doc just needs to be on their letterhead with a description, value and their dealer number.

10. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Does it have to be a classic car seller? You think a Ford dealership would write one up if I drove it down to them?