Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Navarro Intake Thread Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FlatJan, Oct 1, 2015.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

hi Hambers,

can anyone tell
    me what kind of thread there is in my Navarro 2x2?
    Can i use this as manifold pressure for the distributor?

thanks Jan
    WP_20150920_002.jpg

2. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Probably a 1/4 or 1/8 pipe thread. take it to a hardware store and check the fit.

3. Yep that was what I was going to say. A hardware store male barb and a piece of vacuum hose to the distributer and your golden.

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. If it's like my Navarro 2X2, it's 7/16-14. I have found that this seems to be a standard for vacuum fittings on later flatheads. I removed an original wiper fitting from the manifold on my '51 Mercury, and it was the same thread as the Navarro and had a gasket on it (since it is a straight thread, not tapered). I took the fitting to the hardware store, and a 7/16-14 nut spun right on, although it seemed a little loose. On my manifold, at least, the casting is quite thick, and the hole is tapped all the down, which is over 1/2".

As for using it for a source of vacuum for your distributor, it depends; If you have a later model (8BA) with a "Load-a-matic", no; anything else, probably yes. I have an 8BA version and was planning on using that port for my windshield wipers.

I think the location of that vacuum port was a bad decision on Navarro's part, and makes the manifold look "clumsy". I saw a picture of one with a 90 degree fitting that looked a bit better.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

5. alchemy

alchemy

See that fitting up there between the front left ports? That's where your distributor vacuum should come from if used on a pre-'48 engine.

Looks like you are using this on an 8BA, so I'm not sure if the same port would work on the original distributor. But all the late-model flatty guys say you shouldn't use the original distributor with multi carbs anyway.

6. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Just plug it as cleanly as possible. Use an available port on the carbs for wipers. Do not use for 8BA distributer vacuum (stock load-a-magic) That distributer needs " ported" vac. Convert it to old style point based chevy...quite easy to do.

7. FlatJan

FlatJan

Hey Guys
    thanks for all that quick and great info. I'll block off that 7/16-14 and use the one near the carb for my dizzy..
    I have a french flatty and SBC distributor with mechanical and vac-advance modified by bubba so I think this should work great :D

8. FlatJan

FlatJan

...found something neat to plug it up :D what do you think??
    btw. next thread question: What thread is it / what kind of fitting do i need for that manifold-distributor-connector?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. FlatJan

FlatJan

10. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

11. FlatJan

FlatJan

can anyone tell me what kind of thread this is?
    WP_20151121_014.jpg
    WP_20151121_016.jpg

12. You should take a day and hang out at the hardware/parts store and learn your sizes it help when you are building cars. :confused:

13. ^^^Yep,Depot&Lowes have display blocks in plumbing section that will tell you what you have.