Register now to get rid of these ads!

Navarro and the Dog Clutch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

So I was reading my '51 Hop-Up Little Book and came across a great Barney Navarro at the Dry Lakes article. They reference the absence of a transmission, but only using a "dog clutch". Can anyone define what this is? He ends up hitting 135 after a few runs.
    [​IMG]

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I believe he is referring to an (in and out box) like they use in sprint cars.

Ago

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Dog clutch would generally mean a very simple/crude positive coupler of teeth going into notches...

4. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Very similar to what is now refered to as an "in out box". They were popular in Track roadsters at that time. Not really a clutch,just a way of engageing or disengageing the engine from the direct (no trans) driveline. A splined adapter bolted on the end of crankshaft behind the flywheel . making it direct drive to the inout box. . A lever slid a coupling back and forth. to engage or disengage the unit. Some were homemade. Bell Auto lists one made by Cyclone in their 49 catalogue. I would imagine probably that is what he had. That was a great article. Hop Up had it way over HRM in my opinion.

5. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Thanks for the info. I'd love to see that Cyclone version, and yes... may be one of the best issues ever as it's the very first, July 1951. Even came with the Bonneville decal.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Dog clutch as described, often used on dirt track racers as well. It eliminated the clutch and transmission.

Starting technique, warm up the motor and shut it off. Engage clutch, lock rear wheels with the hand brake. Push race car with another car or pickup truck, back wheels skidding, up to 10 MPH or so. Release brake, engine starts and away you go!

7. it also reduced weight by a bunch.

8. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Thank you sir. Be fun to see one go!